all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* What is the value of ^@ as character in elisp
@ 2007-07-03  8:08 Slavomir Kaslev
From: Slavomir Kaslev @ 2007-07-03  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I am new to emacs lisp and I am writing several functions to make
emacs communicate with Autodesk Maya.

I can't figure a way to get the value of ^@ as character in elisp. For
the moment I just copied the character in my .el source:

(defcustom etom-prompt-regexp "^^@$"
  "Regexp which matches the Maya's prompt."
  :type 'regexp
  :group 'etom)

where ^@ is the character, not the string "^@".

You can check the source code at http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/etom.el

Can anyone help me?

Thank you in advance.

* Re: What is the value of ^@ as character in elisp
@ 2007-07-03 10:06 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.2990.1183457174.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-07-03 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Slavomir Kaslev; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 03.07.2007 um 10:08 schrieb Slavomir Kaslev:

> I can't figure a way to get the value of ^@ as character in elisp.

It's ASCII NUL. You can enter it via: C-q 0 0 RET.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Never be led astray onto the path of virtue

@ 2007-07-03 13:34   ` Slavomir Kaslev
From: Slavomir Kaslev @ 2007-07-03 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jul 3, 1:06 pm, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 03.07.2007 um 10:08 schrieb Slavomir Kaslev:
>
> > I can't figure a way to get the value of ^@ as character in elisp.
>
> It's ASCII NUL. You can enter it via: C-q 0 0 RET.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>    Pete
>
> Never be led astray onto the path of virtue

Thank you Pete.

I should have just used string-to-char, which returns 0 on this
string.

Cheers

@ 2007-07-03 23:01 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2007-07-03 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

You can use the ?\^@ syntax.

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: What is the value of ^@ as character in elisp
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-07-04  0:53 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2007-07-04  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Slavomir Kaslev <slavomir.kaslev@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to emacs lisp and I am writing several functions to make
> emacs communicate with Autodesk Maya.
>
> I can't figure a way to get the value of ^@ as character in elisp. For
> the moment I just copied the character in my .el source:

In emacs lisp, characters are integers, like in C.

^@ is 0.

So to get the value of ^@, you can just write 0. For example:

(insert "Hello>" 0 "<world!")
; inserts:
Hello>\0<world!

(string 0) --> "\0"

> (defcustom etom-prompt-regexp "^^@$"
>   "Regexp which matches the Maya's prompt."
>   :type 'regexp
>   :group 'etom)

The Maya prompt is a null character???

NOTE: The most fundamental particles in this product are held
together by a "gluing" force about which little is currently known
and whose adhesive power can therefore not be permanently
guaranteed.

* Re: What is the value of ^@ as character in elisp
       [not found] <1183135633.707254.55740@n2g2000hse.googlegroups.com>
@ 2007-07-11  7:05 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2007-07-11  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: gnu-emacs-sources

Slavomir Kaslev wrote:
> I am new to emacs lisp and I am writing several functions to make
> emacs communicate with Autodesk Maya.
>
> I can't figure a way to get the value of ^@ as character in elisp. For
> the moment I just copied the character in my .el source:
>
> (defcustom etom-prompt-regexp "^^@$"
>   "Regexp which matches the Maya's prompt."
>   :type 'regexp
>   :group 'etom)
>
> where ^@ is the character, not the string "^@".

[gnu.emacs.sources is for posting code; questions such as this should be
sent to gnu.emacs.help, which is where I'm cross-posting and directing