all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Yankee Doodle Dandy (La glorieuse parade)
@ 2007-02-20  0:02 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-02-20  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs   Bug  [bug-gnu-emacs]; +Cc: Richard   Stallman  [rms]

I saw a few days ago a film (Yankee Doodle Dandy).

As usual, I copied its translation from a site. ( I attached here Yankee-Doodle-Dandy.srt from http://davidbillemont5.free.fr).

I started XINE and I saw that no text appeared on the screen.

I tried to use emacs to see what is wrong.

I do not give here details. Yankee-Doodle-Dandy.srt contains many ZEROS (0), that are unreadable caracters.

Bref: Just try to use EMACS (id est to use query-replace) to take out the zeros. Every combination that you try fails. (unibyte, hexl mode, etc)

Is it normal that EMACS is completely unusable for such an easy task?

Alin Soare.

[-- Attachment #2: /root/mozilla-download/Yankee-Doodle-Dandy.srt --]

* Re: Yankee Doodle Dandy (La glorieuse parade)
@ 2007-02-20  0:19 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2007-02-20  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alinsoar; +Cc: Emacs Bug [bug-gnu-emacs]

A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr> writes:

> I saw a few days ago a film (Yankee Doodle Dandy).
>
> As usual, I copied its translation from a site. ( I attached here Yankee-Doodle-Dandy.srt from http://davidbillemont5.free.fr).
>
> I started XINE and I saw that no text appeared on the screen.
>
> I tried to use emacs to see what is wrong.
>
> I do not give here details. Yankee-Doodle-Dandy.srt contains many ZEROS (0), that are unreadable caracters.

I don't see anything wrong with this file, it is just encoded in UTF-16,
and Emacs correctly decodes it.

> Bref: Just try to use EMACS (id est to use query-replace) to take out the zeros. Every combination that you try fails. (unibyte, hexl mode, etc)

Just saving the file as UTF-8 should give you something that Xine can grok
in your environment.

> Is it normal that EMACS is completely unusable for such an easy task?

On the contrary, Emacs can handle that much better than many other
editors.  Especially it can automatically detect many encodings.

Andreas.

* Re: Yankee Doodle Dandy (La glorieuse parade)
@ 2007-02-20  0:58 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-02-20  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Emacs   Bug  [bug-gnu-emacs]

Yes, sorry - indeed - using encoding systems it works very nice EMACS. I did not know what encoding systems are useful for so far.

I knew just about query-replace - and it did not work at all on such a file if the coding system is that auto-detected.

Alin Soare

@ 2007-02-22 11:07 ` Michaël Cadilhac
From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2007-02-22 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alinsoar; +Cc: Emacs Bug [bug-gnu-emacs]

A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr> writes:

> Bref: Just try to use EMACS (id est to use query-replace) to take
> out the zeros. Every combination that you try fails. (unibyte, hexl
> mode, etc)

What's wrong with M-x replace-string RET C-q C-@ RET RET ?

And BTW, I don't think RMS likes that much to receive twice the same
message (through the list and by direct Cc).

Regards

--
 |      Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac     |  Si les religions etaient aussi tole-  |
 |         Epita/LRDE Promo 2007     |  rantes qu'elles le pretendent, il y   |

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Yankee Doodle Dandy (La glorieuse parade)
@ 2007-02-22 12:41 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-02-22 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michaël Cadilhac; +Cc: Emacs   Bug  [bug-gnu-emacs]

> > Bref: Just try to use EMACS (id est to use query-replace) to take
> > out the zeros. Every combination that you try fails. (unibyte, hexl
> > mode, etc)
>
> What's wrong with M-x replace-string RET C-q C-@ RET RET ?

If you don't change the encryption system it will be saved into a format unrecognisable for xine for example, so using replace-string does not work, even if before saving the buffer looks ok.

> And BTW, I don't think RMS likes that much to receive twice the same
> message (through the list and by direct Cc).

I thought that emacs cannot solve this task, and rms would have taken a decision in this respect.
It is true that using just query-replace it can't?

Regards.

* Re: Yankee Doodle Dandy (La glorieuse parade)
@ 2007-02-23 10:50 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-02-23 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Emacs   Bug  [bug-gnu-emacs]

>     > > Bref: Just try to use EMACS (id est to use query-replace) to take
>     > > out the zeros. Every combination that you try fails. (unibyte, hexl
>     > > mode, etc)
>     >
>     > What's wrong with M-x replace-string RET C-q C-@ RET RET ?
>
>     If you don't change the encryption system it will be saved into a
>     format unrecognisable for xine for example, so using
>     replace-string does not work, even if before saving the buffer
>     looks ok.
>
> I do not know what this discussion is about.  Can you provide
> a test case that fails?

No, the problem was very bad formulated by me. The problem was that I had a subtitle file in which every character was kept on 16 bits, not on 8 as usual, and that is why Xine cannot read this file. The characters were kept as

Char = <a number of 8 bits> < zeros >

I tried to have this file into a format that xine recognize by using query-replace. Query-replace replaced zeros with " ", but it kept every char on 16 bits.

So the problem was bad formulated by me, because I did not know so far what the encodings are.