all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#59904: 29.0.60; js-ts-mode does not fontify method-call to object-instances using font-lock-function-name
@ 2022-12-08 13:56 Jostein Kjønigsen
From: Jostein Kjønigsen @ 2022-12-08 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 59904, casouri, theo

As the title says, using js-ts-mode method-names are not fontified properly.

myFunction();
myObject.myMethod();

In the above examples myFunction is fontified using
font-lock-function-name (expected) bit myMethod() is fontified using
font-lock-property-face (not expected).

I would expect both calls to use font-lock-function-name for fontification.

--
Jostein

In GNU Emacs 29.0.60 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-12-08 built on dev-jostein
Repository revision: 8fb2afe051168b2eac2bba0ee102039d0af90a05
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12201001
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
  'configure --with-tree-sitter'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nb_NO.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nb_NO.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: nb_NO.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: JavaScript

Minor modes in effect:
   lsp-diagnostics-mode: t
   lsp-headerline-breadcrumb-mode: t
   lsp-modeline-workspace-status-mode: t
   lsp-modeline-diagnostics-mode: t
   lsp-modeline-code-actions-mode: t
   electric-pair-mode: t
   lsp-completion-mode: t
   editorconfig-mode: t
   treesit-explore-mode: t
   flycheck-mode: t
   which-function-mode: t
   nlinum-mode: t
   company-mode: t
   global-ede-mode: t
   ede-minor-mode: t
   dap-tooltip-mode: t
   dap-ui-many-windows-mode: t
   dap-ui-controls-mode: t
   dap-ui-mode: t
   treemacs-filewatch-mode: t
   treemacs-follow-mode: t
   treemacs-git-mode: t
   treemacs-fringe-indicator-mode: t
   dap-auto-configure-mode: t
   dap-mode: t
   global-undo-tree-mode: t
   undo-tree-mode: t
   doom-modeline-mode: t
   projectile-mode: t
   ido-yes-or-no-mode: t
   helm-mode: t
   helm-minibuffer-history-mode: t
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   helm--remap-mouse-mode: t
   async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
   delete-selection-mode: t
   global-auto-revert-mode: t
   server-mode: t
   global-hl-line-mode: t
   lsp-managed-mode: t
   lsp-mode: t
   yas-global-mode: t
   yas-minor-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   auto-fill-function: yas--auto-fill
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/jostein/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20221202.1727/transient hides
/home/jostein/build/emacs/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort flyspell ispell emacsbug message yank-media rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mail-extr helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval typescript-ts-mode
lsp-diagnostics lsp-headerline lsp-icons lsp-modeline view elec-pair js
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs executable misearch multi-isearch vc-git diff-mode
vc-dispatcher winner ffap disp-table tramp-archive tramp-gvfs
tramp-cache warnings time-stamp zeroconf dbus helm-bookmark helm-net
helm-adaptive helm-info treemacs-bookmarks treemacs-tags bookmark
face-remap add-log lsp-zig lsp-steep lsp-svelte lsp-sqls
lsp-ruby-syntax-tree lsp-yaml lsp-xml lsp-vimscript lsp-vhdl lsp-volar
lsp-vetur lsp-html lsp-verilog lsp-vala lsp-v lsp-typeprof lsp-ttcn3
lsp-toml lsp-terraform lsp-tex lsp-sorbet lsp-solargraph lsp-rust lsp-rf
lsp-remark lsp-racket lsp-r lsp-purescript lsp-pylsp lsp-pyls lsp-php
lsp-pls lsp-perlnavigator lsp-perl lsp-openscad lsp-ocaml lsp-magik
lsp-nix lsp-nim lsp-nginx lsp-mint lsp-marksman lsp-markdown lsp-lua
lsp-kotlin lsp-json lsp-javascript lsp-idris lsp-haxe lsp-groovy
lsp-hack lsp-graphql lsp-gleam lsp-go lsp-completion lsp-gdscript
lsp-fsharp lsp-fortran lsp-eslint lsp-erlang lsp-emmet lsp-elixir
lsp-elm lsp-dockerfile lsp-dhall lsp-d lsp-css lsp-csharp gnutls
lsp-crystal lsp-cmake lsp-clojure lsp-semantic-tokens lsp-clangd
lsp-beancount lsp-bash lsp-astro lsp-ansible lsp-angular lsp-ada
lsp-actionscript ido-completing-read+ memoize minibuf-eldef
elisp-slime-nav paredit editorconfig editorconfig-core
editorconfig-core-handle editorconfig-fnmatch realgud realgud-zshdb
realgud:zshdb-track-mode realgud:zshdb-core realgud:zshdb-init
realgud-trepan3k realgud:trepan3k-track-mode realgud:trepan3k-core
realgud:trepan3k-init realgud-trepan2 realgud:trepan2-track-mode
realgud:trepan2-core realgud:trepan2-init realgud-trepanpl
realgud:trepanpl-track-mode realgud:trepanpl-core realgud:trepanpl-init
realgud-trepanjs realgud:trepanjs-track-mode realgud:trepanjs-core
realgud:trepanjs-init realgud-lang-js realgud-trepan
realgud:trepan-track-mode realgud:trepan-core realgud:trepan-init
realgud-remake realgud:remake-track-mode realgud:remake-core
realgud:remake-init realgud-rdebug realgud-rdebug-track-mode
realgud-rdebug-core realgud-rdebug-init realgud-lang-ruby realgud-perldb
realgud:perldb-track-mode realgud:perldb-core realgud:perldb-init
realgud-lang-perl realgud-pdb realgud:pdb-track-mode realgud:pdb-core
realgud:pdb-init realgud-lang-python python treesit realgud-kshdb
realgud:kshdb-track-mode realgud:kshdb-core realgud:kshdb-init
realgud-gub realgud:gub-track-mode realgud:gub-core realgud:gub-init
realgud-gdb realgud:gdb-track-mode realgud:gdb-init realgud:gdb-core
realgud-bashdb realgud:bashdb-track-mode realgud:bashdb-core
realgud:bashdb-init realgud-lang-posix-shell realgud:run
realgud-locals-mode realgud-breakpoint-mode realgud-backtrack-mode
realgud-track-mode realgud-backtrace-mode realgud-attach
realgud-lang-java realgud-track realgud-shortkey realgud-menu
realgud-eval realgud-cmds realgud-send realgud-window realgud-utils
eshell realgud-init realgud-file realgud-core realgud-reset
realgud-buffer-helper realgud-buffer-breakpoint realgud-buffer-backtrace
realgud-locals realgud-buffer-locals realgud-buffer-command
realgud-buffer-info realgud-lochist realgud-bp realgud-bp-image-data
realgud-lang esh-mode esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg
esh-module esh-groups esh-util cus-start realgud-loc
realgud-buffer-source realgud-key key realgud-follow realgud-fringe
realgud-helper loc-changes realgud-regexp realgud-custom load-relative
flycheck highlight-symbol which-func edebug debug backtrace nlinum linum
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop generator
company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files
company-clang company-capf company-cmake company-semantic
company-template company-bbdb company-web-html company-web company-css
web-completion-data company eww url-queue shr pixel-fill kinsoku
url-file svg mm-url gnus nnheader gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util
mail-prsvr ede/speedbar ede/files ede ede/detect ede/base ede/auto
ede/source eieio-base eieio-speedbar speedbar ezimage dframe
eieio-custom cedet dap-mouse dap-ui lsp-treemacs lsp-treemacs-generic
lsp-treemacs-themes treemacs-treelib treemacs treemacs-header-line
treemacs-compatibility treemacs-mode treemacs-interface
treemacs-persistence treemacs-filewatch-mode treemacs-follow-mode
treemacs-rendering treemacs-annotations treemacs-async
treemacs-workspaces treemacs-dom treemacs-visuals
treemacs-fringe-indicator treemacs-scope pulse treemacs-faces
treemacs-icons treemacs-themes treemacs-core-utils pfuture
treemacs-logging treemacs-customization treemacs-macros gdb-mi bindat
gud bui bui-list bui-info bui-entry bui-core bui-history bui-button
bui-utils lsp-lens dap-gdb-lldb dap-netcore dap-node dap-utils dom xml
dap-pwsh lsp-pwsh dap-python dap-mode dap-tasks dap-launch lsp-docker
yaml posframe dap-overlays undo-tree diff queue doom-modeline
doom-modeline-segments doom-modeline-env doom-modeline-core shrink-path
compat compat-macs projectile lisp-mnt grep ibuf-ext ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs helm-imenu ob-plantuml org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list
org-footnote org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs
find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs
ido-yes-or-no advice ido helm-mode helm-misc helm-files image-dired
image-dired-tags image-dired-external image-dired-util xdg image-mode
dired dired-loaddefs exif tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration cus-edit pp cus-load files-x tramp-compat shell
pcomplete parse-time iso8601 time-date ls-lisp helm-buffers helm-occur
helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep helm-regexp format-spec helm-utils
helm-help helm-types helm helm-global-bindings helm-easymenu edmacro
kmacro helm-core easy-mmode async-bytecomp helm-source helm-multi-match
helm-lib async helm-config delsel cl-extra autorevert server hl-line
lsp-mode lsp-protocol yasnippet help-mode xref project tree-widget
wid-edit spinner pcase network-stream puny nsm markdown-mode color
thingatpt noutline outline icons lv inline imenu ht filenotify f
f-shortdoc shortdoc s ewoc epg rfc6068 epg-config dash dracula-theme
compile-eslint compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color
ring cl finder-inf tree-sitter-indent-autoloads expand-region-autoloads
ido-yes-or-no-autoloads nodejs-repl-autoloads marmalade-client-autoloads
doom-modeline-autoloads elisp-slime-nav-autoloads
multiple-cursors-autoloads dracula-theme-autoloads
git-timemachine-autoloads crontab-mode-autoloads
highlight-symbol-autoloads ssh-config-mode-autoloads langtool-autoloads
dap-mode-autoloads lsp-treemacs-autoloads treemacs-autoloads
cfrs-autoloads posframe-autoloads gh-autoloads marshal-autoloads
logito-autoloads pcache-autoloads kv-autoloads toml-mode-autoloads
company-web-autoloads shrink-path-autoloads realgud-autoloads
realgud-recursive-autoloads load-relative-autoloads paredit-autoloads
bui-autoloads tree-sitter-langs-autoloads helpful-autoloads
elisp-refs-autoloads magit-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
git-commit-autoloads with-editor-autoloads flycheck-package-autoloads
package-lint-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads
macrostep-autoloads lsp-docker-autoloads yaml-autoloads
lsp-mode-autoloads spinner-autoloads f-autoloads hydra-autoloads
nlinum-autoloads ht-autoloads loc-changes-autoloads transient-autoloads
compat-autoloads web-mode-autoloads undo-tree-autoloads queue-autoloads
ace-window-autoloads avy-autoloads bmx-mode-autoloads company-autoloads
test-simple-autoloads js2-mode-autoloads web-autoloads s-autoloads
ido-completing-read+-autoloads memoize-autoloads lv-autoloads
imenu-anywhere-autoloads helm-projectile-autoloads projectile-autoloads
helm-autoloads popup-autoloads helm-core-autoloads async-autoloads
tree-sitter-autoloads tsc-autoloads editorconfig-autoloads
json-mode-autoloads rx json-snatcher-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads
web-completion-data-autoloads cargo-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
pfuture-autoloads flycheck-autoloads pkg-info-autoloads epl-autoloads
info dash-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 581099 38842)
  (symbols 48 54552 1)
  (strings 32 185380 10974)
  (string-bytes 1 6025106)
  (vectors 16 107595)
  (vector-slots 8 2034690 131866)
  (floats 8 551 525)
  (intervals 56 4514 1049)
  (buffers 992 27))

--
*Jostein Kjønigsen*
jostein.kjønigsen.no <https://jostein.kjønigsen.no>

* bug#59904: 29.0.60; js-ts-mode does not fontify method-call to object-instances using font-lock-function-name
@ 2022-12-08 14:46 ` Jostein Kjønigsen
From: Jostein Kjønigsen @ 2022-12-08 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuan Fu, Theodor Thornhill, 59904

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 14747 bytes --]

Looking into the code, a minimal code-repro looks like this:

someObject.someMethod();

Activating treesit-explore-mode on that, yields the following tree:

(expression_statement
  (call_expression
   function: (member_expression object: (identifier) . property:
(property_identifier))
   arguments: (arguments ( )))
  ;)

Now looking in js.el I see the following which looks like it's trying to
fontify this, but for some reason it's not working:

      (call_expression
       function: [(identifier) @font-lock-function-name-face
                  (member_expression
                   property:
                   (property_identifier) @font-lock-function-name-face)])

I'm guessing this fontification is being overridden further down (just
like for csharp-ts-mode). From what I can tell, reversing the order of
declarations seems to fix this for me.

See attached path.

--
Jostein

On 08.12.2022 14:56, Jostein Kjønigsen wrote:

> [...]
> isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
> font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
> indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
> tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
> romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
> composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
> jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
> theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
> overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
> hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
> dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
> move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process

[-- Attachment #2: 0002-lisp-progmodes-js.el-Fix-fontification-of-method-inv.patch --]

From 1ac8c803a01b4a16a147bda392e5efb92fce2de0 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: =?UTF-8?q?Jostein=20Kj=C3=B8nigsen?= <jostein@kjonigsen.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 15:45:00 +0100
Subject: [PATCH 2/2] lisp/progmodes/js.el: Fix fontification of
 method-invocations in js-ts-mode.

---
 lisp/progmodes/js.el | 24 ++++++++++++------------

diff --git a/lisp/progmodes/js.el b/lisp/progmodes/js.el
index 45dfef372cd..864fc1303cf 100644
--- a/lisp/progmodes/js.el
+++ b/lisp/progmodes/js.el
@@ -3543,6 +3543,17 @@ js--treesit-font-lock-settings
      (arrow_function
       parameter: (identifier) @font-lock-variable-name-face))

+   :language 'javascript
+   :override t
+   :feature 'property
+   `((property_identifier) @font-lock-property-face
+
+     (pair value: (identifier) @font-lock-variable-name-face)
+
+     ((shorthand_property_identifier) @font-lock-property-face)
+
+     ((shorthand_property_identifier_pattern) @font-lock-property-face))
+
    :language 'javascript
    :override t
    :feature 'expression
@@ -3611,18 +3622,7 @@ js--treesit-font-lock-settings
    :language 'javascript
    :feature 'escape-sequence
    :override t
-   '((escape_sequence) @font-lock-escape-face)
-
-   :language 'javascript
-   :override t
-   :feature 'property
-   `((property_identifier) @font-lock-property-face
-
-     (pair value: (identifier) @font-lock-variable-name-face)
-
-     ((shorthand_property_identifier) @font-lock-property-face)
-
-     ((shorthand_property_identifier_pattern) @font-lock-property-face)))
+   '((escape_sequence) @font-lock-escape-face))
   "Tree-sitter font-lock settings.")

 (defun js--fontify-template-string (node override start end &rest _)
--
2.34.1

* bug#59904: 29.0.60; js-ts-mode does not fontify method-call to object-instances using font-lock-function-name
@ 2022-12-08 15:02   ` Theodor Thornhill via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Theodor Thornhill via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2022-12-08 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jostein Kjønigsen, Yuan Fu, 59904

Jostein Kjønigsen <jostein@secure.kjonigsen.net> writes:

> Looking into the code, a minimal code-repro looks like this:
>
> someObject.someMethod();
>
> Activating treesit-explore-mode on that, yields the following tree:
>
> (expression_statement
>   (call_expression
>    function: (member_expression object: (identifier) . property:
> (property_identifier))
>    arguments: (arguments ( )))
>   ;)
>
> Now looking in js.el I see the following which looks like it's trying to
> fontify this, but for some reason it's not working:
>
>       (call_expression
>        function: [(identifier) @font-lock-function-name-face
>                   (member_expression
>                    property:
>                    (property_identifier) @font-lock-function-name-face)])
>
> I'm guessing this fontification is being overridden further down (just
> like for csharp-ts-mode). From what I can tell, reversing the order of
> declarations seems to fix this for me.

Yeah this is probably correct.  Looks good to me.  Yuan, want to apply?
:-)

Theo

* bug#59904: 29.0.60; js-ts-mode does not fontify method-call to object-instances using font-lock-function-name
@ 2022-12-09 20:53 ` Yuan Fu
From: Yuan Fu @ 2022-12-09 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodor Thornhill; +Cc: 59904-done, Jostein Kjønigsen

Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no> writes:

> Jostein Kjønigsen <jostein@secure.kjonigsen.net> writes:
>
>> Looking into the code, a minimal code-repro looks like this:
>>
>> someObject.someMethod();
>>
>> Activating treesit-explore-mode on that, yields the following tree:
>>
>> (expression_statement
>>   (call_expression
>>    function: (member_expression object: (identifier) . property:
>> (property_identifier))
>>    arguments: (arguments ( )))
>>   ;)
>>
>> Now looking in js.el I see the following which looks like it's trying to
>> fontify this, but for some reason it's not working:
>>
>>       (call_expression
>>        function: [(identifier) @font-lock-function-name-face
>>                   (member_expression
>>                    property:
>>                    (property_identifier) @font-lock-function-name-face)])
>>
>> I'm guessing this fontification is being overridden further down (just
>> like for csharp-ts-mode). From what I can tell, reversing the order of
>> declarations seems to fix this for me.
>>

> Yeah this is probably correct.  Looks good to me.  Yuan, want to apply?
> :-)
>
> Theo

Applied, thanks! I added a comment so we don’t accidentally reintroduce
this later.

Yuan