all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Checking if find-file-hook was called interactively
@ 2010-08-27  8:52 Nordlöw
From: Nordlöw @ 2010-08-27  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hey, there!

I have the following assistant that auto-inserts a C/C++ template code
when opening new or empty C/C++ files. How can I make this auto-
insertion be inhibited when find-file is called non-interactively?
This because I want prevent semantic's scanning functions from trigger
this template-auto-insertion.

I could solve this by either redefining find-file, advising find-file,
or defining a new function find-file-auto-template bound to C-x C-f.
But there are other variants of find-file I use so I would rather not
have to modify all of them so I guess advising find-file is the best
alternative in that case.

Thanks in advance,
Per Nordlöw

Exert of code follows. Note that buffer-empty-p and c-insert-header-
template is not given here.

(defun c-auto-insert-empty-file-template ()
  "Interactive insertion of file creation template."
  (interactive)
  (unless buffer-read-only
    (let ((filepath (buffer-file-name)))
      (if (buffer-empty-p)
          ;; empty buffer
          (progn
            (if (fmd-file-match filepath 'C-Header 'name-recog)
                (if (y-or-n-p (format "Insert C Header Template? "))
                    (c-insert-header-template filepath "y")))
            (if (fmd-file-match filepath 'C++-Header 'name-recog)
                (if (y-or-n-p (format "Insert C++ Header Template? "))
                    (c-insert-header-template filepath "y")))
            (if (fmd-file-match filepath 'C-Source 'name-recog)
                (if (y-or-n-p (format "Insert C Source Template? "))
                    (c-insert-source-template filepath)))
            (if (fmd-file-match filepath 'C++-Source 'name-recog)
                (if (y-or-n-p (format "Insert C++ Source Template? "))
                    (c-insert-source-template filepath)))
            )))))
(add-hook 'find-file-hook 'c-auto-insert-empty-file-template t)

* Re: Checking if find-file-hook was called interactively
@ 2010-08-28  0:20 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-08-28  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> (defun c-auto-insert-empty-file-template ()
>   "Interactive insertion of file creation template."
>   (interactive)
>   (unless buffer-read-only
>     (let ((filepath (buffer-file-name)))
>       (if (buffer-empty-p)
>           ;; empty buffer
>           (progn
>             (if (fmd-file-match filepath 'C-Header 'name-recog)
>                 (if (y-or-n-p (format "Insert C Header Template? "))
>                     (c-insert-header-template filepath "y")))
>             (if (fmd-file-match filepath 'C++-Header 'name-recog)
>                 (if (y-or-n-p (format "Insert C++ Header Template? "))
>                     (c-insert-header-template filepath "y")))
>             (if (fmd-file-match filepath 'C-Source 'name-recog)
>                 (if (y-or-n-p (format "Insert C Source Template? "))
>                     (c-insert-source-template filepath)))
>             (if (fmd-file-match filepath 'C++-Source 'name-recog)
>                 (if (y-or-n-p (format "Insert C++ Source Template? "))
>                     (c-insert-source-template filepath)))
>             )))))
> (add-hook 'find-file-hook 'c-auto-insert-empty-file-template t)

I'd recommend you use auto-insert-mode rather than your own code.
But you may find that auto-insert suffers from the same problem, in
which case you may want to M-x report-emacs-bug.

Now I'm not sure whether the bug is in Semantic which should not visit
those files with find-file-noselect but with something of lower level,
or in auto-insert which should be more careful to only perform the
auto-insertion (and/or prompt the user) when the command is really
a "find-file"-like command.