all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Describe-function does not load the full function help
@ 2013-02-05 22:39 Yves Baumes
From: Yves Baumes @ 2013-02-05 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Following is an extract of the result for (describe-function
'mode-line-toggle-read-only) :

mode-line-toggle-read-only is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
`bindings.el'.

(mode-line-toggle-read-only EVENT)

Cannot open doc string file "DOC-24.3.50.1"

[back]

What is "DOC-24.3.50.1"?
It appears I've the issue while 'describing' other functions.
I am using the last Emacs from the trunk. The other Emacs version I have
is v24.1.1 and print "Like `toggle-read-only', for the mode-line."
instead (in the case of `mode-line-toggle-read-only').

Regards
Yves

* Re: Describe-function does not load the full function help
@ 2013-02-05 23:06 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-02-05 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yves Baumes; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 05.02.2013 um 23:39 schrieb Yves Baumes:

> What is "DOC-24.3.50.1"?

This file contains the short documentation string of all the functions available in this version of dumped GNU Emacs. It is usually found in /usr/local/share/emacs/<version>/etc, i.e., /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.50/etc. Since GNU Emacs is a developing version you just need to invoke

	sudo make install

and the DOC file appear in the proper spot! (A copy exists as <path to the GNU Emacs 24.3.50 sources>/etc/DOC, if there is no <path to the GNU Emacs 24.3.50 sources>/etc/DOC-24.3.50.1 file. If none of them exists, then either just 'make' again or update with bzr etc.)

--
Greetings

  Pete

"By filing this bug report you have challenged the honor of my family. Prepare to die!"