all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs hangs with too much unicode?
@ 2015-01-21  1:40 Rusi
       [not found] ` <mailman.18250.1421814873.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rusi @ 2015-01-21  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Take a file like this
https://github.com/rrthomas/pointless-xcompose

[Actual raw file https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rrthomas/pointless-xcompose/master/xcompose
]

Edit it in emacs [24.4.1] on linux [debian-jessie-XFCE]
Move around a bit
At some point emacs just hangs - shows hourglass
C-G and it comes back
But hangs again when I move point around.

Yes I started with emacs -Q

* Re: emacs hangs with too much unicode?
@ 2015-01-21  4:34 ` Alexis
       [not found] ` <mailman.18250.1421814873.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alexis @ 2015-01-21  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rusi writes:

> Take a file like this
> https://github.com/rrthomas/pointless-xcompose
>
> [Actual raw file https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rrthomas/pointless-xcompose/master/xcompose
> ]
>
> Edit it in emacs [24.4.1] on linux [debian-jessie-XFCE]
> Move around a bit
> At some point emacs just hangs - shows hourglass
> C-G and it comes back
> But hangs again when I move point around.
>
> Yes I started with emacs -Q

i just tried this on my system - manually compiled 24.4.1 on Debian
Wheezy x86_64, running under i3. Even without -Q, i had no problems
using the down arrow to manually get to the bottom of the file, then the
up arrow to go back up to the top, and occasionally using the left- and
right-arrows to move around at various points during the process.

Alexis.

@ 2015-01-21  6:21   ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2015-01-21  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 10:04:35 AM UTC+5:30, Alexis wrote:
> Rusi writes:
>
> > Take a file like this
> > https://github.com/rrthomas/pointless-xcompose
> >
> > [Actual raw file https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rrthomas/pointless-xcompose/master/xcompose
> > ]
> >
> > Edit it in emacs [24.4.1] on linux [debian-jessie-XFCE]
> > Move around a bit
> > At some point emacs just hangs - shows hourglass
> > C-G and it comes back
> > But hangs again when I move point around.
> >
> > Yes I started with emacs -Q
>
> i just tried this on my system - manually compiled 24.4.1 on Debian
> Wheezy x86_64, running under i3. Even without -Q, i had no problems
> using the down arrow to manually get to the bottom of the file, then the
> up arrow to go back up to the top, and occasionally using the left- and
> right-arrows to move around at various points during the process.
>

> Alexis.

On an ubuntu 14.10 laptop
Running unity
emacs 24.3.1

there's no issue

* Re: emacs hangs with too much unicode?
@ 2015-01-21  9:28     ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2015-01-21  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rusi writes:

> On an ubuntu 14.10 laptop
> Running unity
> emacs 24.3.1
>
> there's no issue

This, together with my inability to reproduce the issue on my setup,
suggests to me you should contact the Debian maintainers of the Emacs
package for Jessie about the issue; it might be something to do with the
options with which they're compiling Emacs, and/or the Emacs package's
interaction with the XFCE package.

Alexis.