all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Can't get Windows registry to work for resources
@ 2004-07-28 17:01 Steve Biederman
       [not found] ` <mailman.1925.1091036623.1960.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Steve Biederman @ 2004-07-28 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to set values in the Windows registry to do the same things that
one would do
in the .Xdefaults file in a X Window system.  To remove any oddities which
may be happenning
because of font or color names, for my test case I'm trying to set a
resource whose value is neither
a font or a color.  Just to test, I'm setting:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/GNU/Emacs/Emacs.scrollBarWidth to the REG_SZ
value 100
Nothing happens.  What am I missing?

* Re: Can't get Windows registry to work for resources
@ 2004-07-28 18:38 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.1925.1091036623.1960.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-07-28 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Steve Biederman" <steve.biederman@synopsys.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:01:34 -0700
>
> Just to test, I'm setting:
>     HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/GNU/Emacs/Emacs.scrollBarWidth to the REG_SZ
> value 100
> Nothing happens.  What am I missing?

I think this resource is specific to certain toolkits, not to X in
general.  The Windows build uses a native Windows toolkit that doesn't
look at this variable.

So not every resource will work on Windows, exactly like not every
resource will work with every toolkit on X.

@ 2004-07-28 23:05   ` Steve Biederman
From: Steve Biederman @ 2004-07-28 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Okay, then, how about Emacs*menubar and Emacs*popup fonts and colors?
Supported?

@ 2004-07-29  4:49     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-07-29  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Steve Biederman" <steve.biederman@synopsys.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 16:05:23 -0700
>
> Okay, then, how about Emacs*menubar and Emacs*popup fonts and colors?
> Supported?

I don't know (anybody?).

You can always look in the sources, though.

* Re: Can't get Windows registry to work for resources
@ 2004-07-29  8:18     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2004-07-29  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Steve Biederman" <steve.biederman@synopsys.com> writes:

> Okay, then, how about Emacs*menubar and Emacs*popup fonts and colors?
> Supported?

No. Menus and scrollbars are always displayed with the system default
fonts and colors on Windows.