all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
To: Deric Bytes <dericbytes@gmail.com>, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: RE: Can list-packages be set up to show latest github emacs packages?
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 09:34:29 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

>> Doesn't `el-get' also have as a feature the ability to pull from
>> various different kinds of sources, including, say, Emacs Wiki?
>>
>> IIUC, it is not limited to pulling from a GIT archive.  That's
>> a significant advantage, I would think.
>
> Yes it does. Here is an example of such a recipie that comes
> bundled with el-get...

Good to know, especially since MELPA has apparently decided
to no longer support Emacs Wiki.  GIT is fine, but it should
not be regarded as the only way - the be-all and end-all -
for users to distribute and retrieve Emacs libraries/packages.

If `el-get' supports multiple kinds of sources, including
but not limited to GIT archives, so much the better.  It's
too bad (IMHO) that MELPA has abandoned such an approach,
but that's OK.