all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Telnet Connection on Windows
@ 2009-11-19 20:02 Paul Heinrich Dietrich
From: Paul Heinrich Dietrich @ 2009-11-19 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,
I've read a lot of threads here and hours of pages with broken links online,
and am wondering what's the current best way to use Telnet through Emacs on
Windows?

Please don't say M-x telnet

I've run across a lot of suggestions like jtelnet, mostly with broken links.

I've successfully connected to my destination computer with tramps, but
still need telnet functionality that doesn't work in dired.  Who here uses
telnet in Emacs on Windows?  Thanks.

* Re: Telnet Connection on Windows
@ 2009-11-19 22:07 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2009-11-19 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Paul Heinrich Dietrich; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Paul Heinrich Dietrich <paul.heinrich.dietrich@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,

Hi,

> I've read a lot of threads here and hours of pages with broken links online,
> and am wondering what's the current best way to use Telnet through Emacs on
> Windows?
>
> Please don't say M-x telnet
>
> I've run across a lot of suggestions like jtelnet, mostly with broken links.
>
> I've successfully connected to my destination computer with tramps, but
> still need telnet functionality that doesn't work in dired.  Who here uses
> telnet in Emacs on Windows?  Thanks.

If you could connect your remote host via Tramp, then you could use
eshell. Both cooperate.

Let's say you are able open "/plink:user@host:", getting an dired
buffer. Then you can also apply "M-x eshell". In the eshell buffer, you
could do "cd /plink:user@host:". Now you can apply commands on the
remote host.

I haven't tried it on Windows, but it shall work this way, starting with
Emacs 23.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Telnet Connection on Windows
@ 2009-11-20 13:46   ` Paul Heinrich Dietrich
From: Paul Heinrich Dietrich @ 2009-11-20 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Thank you for showing me something new.  Doing as you instructed allows me to
connect.  Once in, I did:

> ls -lt

...and succesfully looked at a directory, though all permissions displayed ?
and file sizes were set to 1.  Next, I tried to see what jobs I have
running:

> ps -ef | grep me

And it said:

servername: remshd: Login incorrect.
rsh: can't establish connection

I tried to run a SAS batch job (I have ESS, haven't got it working yet, and
wanted to at least be able to do things the way I do now with Telnet and
UltraEdit).  It gave the same reply:

 servername: remshd: Login incorrect.
rsh: can't establish connection

But it does still seem to have the connection, because

> ls

works.  Is there something else I need to do, or is there a Telnet method?
Many thanks for any feedback.

* Re: Telnet Connection on Windows
@ 2009-11-20 20:57     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2009-11-20 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Paul Heinrich Dietrich; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Paul Heinrich Dietrich <paul.heinrich.dietrich@gmail.com> writes:

Btw: which Emacs and Tramp versions are you running?

> Thank you for showing me something new.  Doing as you instructed allows me to
> connect.  Once in, I did:
>
>> ls -lt
>
> ...and succesfully looked at a directory, though all permissions displayed ?
> and file sizes were set to 1.  Next, I tried to see what jobs I have
> running:
>
>> ps -ef | grep me
>
> And it said:
>
> servername: remshd: Login incorrect.
> rsh: can't establish connection

That is not expected. The error message looks like there is a connection
problem to your remote host.

Could you, please, set tramp-verbose to 8, and rerun the test? There
will be a *debug tramp/...* buffer, which might be helpful.

However, I've realized, that there is also an eshell problem using pipes
on remote hosts. I'm working on this.

> But it does still seem to have the connection, because
>
>> ls
>
> works.

"ls" uses an eshell internal implementation instead of running the "ls"
command on the remote host, that's why there is a different behaviour.