all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to kill line beginning with specific string
@ 2009-11-18 18:51 brooklynwhite
From: brooklynwhite @ 2009-11-18 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I need to figure out how to kill a series of lines in a text file that all
begin with the same string.  The format of the lines is:
2000 001 00        AIR TEMP     354

The second and third expressions in the line change with subsequent lines,
e.g.:

2000 002 01        AIR TEMP     354

Is there a simple way for me to search for and kill all of these lines
without having to repeatedly enter the search mode and type ctrl-k when the
line is found?  I realize this may be a silly question so thanks for your
patience and help.

* Re: How to kill line beginning with specific string
@ 2009-11-19  6:43 ` Dirk-Jan C. Binnema
       [not found] ` <mailman.11032.1258625728.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dirk-Jan C. Binnema @ 2009-11-19  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brooklynwhite; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

    > I need to figure out how to kill a series of lines in a text file that all
    > begin with the same string.  The format of the lines is:
    > 2000 001 00        AIR TEMP     354

    > The second and third expressions in the line change with subsequent lines,
    > e.g.:

    > 2000 002 01        AIR TEMP     354

    > Is there a simple way for me to search for and kill all of these lines
    > without having to repeatedly enter the search mode and type ctrl-k when the
    > line is found?  I realize this may be a silly question so thanks for your
    > patience and help.

M-x flush-lines

Best wishes,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema                  Helsinki, Finland
e:djcb@djcbsoftware.nl           w:www.djcbsoftware.nl

* Re: How to kill line beginning with specific string
       [not found] <mailman.11014.1258611938.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-11-19  8:47 ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2009-11-19  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 10:51:29 -0800 (PST), brooklynwhite <white805@umn.edu> wrote:
> I need to figure out how to kill a series of lines in a text file that all
> begin with the same string.  The format of the lines is:
>
> 2000 001 00        AIR TEMP     354
>
> The second and third expressions in the line change with subsequent
> lines, e.g.:
>
> 2000 002 01        AIR TEMP     354
>
> Is there a simple way for me to search for and kill all of these lines
> without having to repeatedly enter the search mode and type ctrl-k
> when the line is found?  I realize this may be a silly question so
> thanks for your patience and help.

You can use `M-x flush-lines RET'.  Note that the `flush-lines' argument
is a regular expression, but it should work fine for simple string
matching too.

* Re: How to kill line beginning with specific string
@ 2009-11-19 10:14 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.11032.1258625728.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-11-19 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brooklynwhite; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.11.2009 um 19:51 schrieb brooklynwhite:

> Is there a simple way for me to search for and kill all of these lines
> without having to repeatedly enter the search mode and type ctrl-k
> when the
> line is found?

You can check with C-M-s ^2000 .*C-qC-j – it will high-light the
matching lines. Once you're content you can use replace-regexp to
replace all that matches the regular expression with nothing.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Indentation?! I will show you how to indent when I indent your skull!"

@ 2009-11-19 10:45   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2009-11-19 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> Is there a simple way for me to search for and kill all of these lines
>> without having to repeatedly enter the search mode and type ctrl-k
>> when the
>> line is found?
>
> You can check with C-M-s ^2000 .*C-qC-j – it will high-light the
> matching lines. Once you're content you can use replace-regexp to
> replace all that matches the regular expression with nothing.

Perhaps more easily, use the `flush-lines' command, and give it a regexp
of "^" + your string:

E.g., to kill lines beginning with "my prefix":

   M-x flush-lines RET ^my prefix RET

[Note that flush-lines operates on all lines _following point_, so you
might want to move to the beginning of the buffer first.]

-Miles

--
Cynic, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as
they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a

* Re: How to kill line beginning with specific string
@ 2009-11-19 17:12   ` brooklynwhite
From: brooklynwhite @ 2009-11-19 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Your help is much appreciated!!!