all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* file path in buffer name
@ 2009-11-16 10:21 matlantis
From: matlantis @ 2009-11-16 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi emacs friends,

i have to edit multiple files with the same file name (CMakeLists.txt) and
since emacs gives the buffer the name of the file and adding a number to it,
it is very hard to decide with buffer has which file.

So what i need is a method to say emacs to make the buffer name looking like
"CMakeLists.txt in <path>". Even better would be if <path> could be
abbreviated to 30 characters, but thats not important.

I have no experience in elisp programming, please can anybody explain to me,
what to put in my .emacs file to give emacs the desired behavior?

best regards and thanks for help

Martin

* RE: file path in buffer name
@ 2009-11-16 18:42 ` Drew Adams
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-11-16 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'matlantis', Help-gnu-emacs

> i have to edit multiple files with the same file name
> (CMakeLists.txt) and since emacs gives the buffer the name
> of the file and adding a number to it,
> it is very hard to decide with buffer has which file.
>
> So what i need is a method to say emacs to make the buffer
> name looking like "CMakeLists.txt in <path>". Even better
> would be if <path> could be abbreviated to 30 characters,
> but thats not important.

This doesn't answer your question directly, but it might help you as
supplementary info:

You can see the file names for your (file-visiting) buffers in at least these
ways:

1. Menu-bar menu `Buffers'.

2. The buffer-menu buffer, `*Buffer List*'. You access this using command
`buffer-menu' or `list-buffers', typically bound to `C-x C-b'.

HTH.

* Re: file path in buffer name
       [not found] <mailman.10818.1258395337.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-11-16 19:10 ` Joost Kremers
       [not found]   ` <mailman.10839.1258402065.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2009-11-16 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

matlantis wrote:
> So what i need is a method to say emacs to make the buffer name looking like
> "CMakeLists.txt in <path>". Even better would be if <path> could be
> abbreviated to 30 characters, but thats not important.

do M-x customize-variable RET uniquify-buffer-name-style RET and select the
style you prefer.

HTH

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)

@ 2009-11-16 19:11 ` Alain Ketterlin
From: Alain Ketterlin @ 2009-11-16 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

matlantis <matlantis@gmx.de> writes:

> i have to edit multiple files with the same file name (CMakeLists.txt) and
> since emacs gives the buffer the name of the file and adding a number to it,
> it is very hard to decide with buffer has which file.
>
> So what i need is a method to say emacs to make the buffer name looking like
> "CMakeLists.txt in <path>". Even better would be if <path> could be
> abbreviated to 30 characters, but thats not important.

M-x customize-group RET uniquify RET

should let you change and save the settings.

-- Alain.

* Re: file path in buffer name
@ 2009-11-16 19:38 ` Sean Sieger
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-11-16 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

matlantis <matlantis@gmx.de> writes:

    So what i need is a method to say emacs to make the buffer name
    looking like "CMakeLists.txt in <path>". Even better would be if
    <path> could be abbreviated to 30 characters, but thats not
    important.

    I have no experience in elisp programming, please can anybody
    explain to me, what to put in my .emacs file to give emacs the
    desired behavior?

I have

(require 'uniquify)
(setq uniquify-buffer-name-style 'forward)

in my dotemacs.  It gives me enough in buffer names to discern the
difference between two identically named files.

But see (info "(emacs) Uniquify")
                                 ^
                                  do C-x C-e here.

* Re: file path in buffer name
@ 2009-11-16 19:44 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.10881.1258454397.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-11-16 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: matlantis; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 16.11.2009 um 11:21 schrieb matlantis:

> i have to edit multiple files with the same file name
> (CMakeLists.txt) and
> since emacs gives the buffer the name of the file and adding a
> number to it,
> it is very hard to decide with buffer has which file.

Customise uniquify-buffer-name-style. This should be sufficient.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped.
				- Groucho Marx

* Re: file path in buffer name
@ 2009-11-16 19:48   ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2009-11-16 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: matlantis; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

2009/11/16 Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>:
>> i have to edit multiple files with the same file name
>> (CMakeLists.txt) and since emacs gives the buffer the name
>> of the file and adding a number to it,
>> it is very hard to decide with buffer has which file.
>>
>> So what i need is a method to say emacs to make the buffer
>> name looking like "CMakeLists.txt in <path>". Even better
>> would be if <path> could be abbreviated to 30 characters,
>> but thats not important.
>
> This doesn't answer your question directly, but it might help you as
> supplementary info:
>
> You can see the file names for your (file-visiting) buffers in at least these
> ways:
>
> 1. Menu-bar menu `Buffers'.
>
> 2. The buffer-menu buffer, `*Buffer List*'. You access this using command
> `buffer-menu' or `list-buffers', typically bound to `C-x C-b'.

Continuing along those same lines, you can give ibuffer-mode a try.
You can filter your buffers by filename using `/ f RET regex RET'

--
Suvayu

* Re: file path in buffer name
@ 2009-11-16 20:07   ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found]   ` <mailman.10839.1258402065.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-11-16 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 8:10 PM, Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> wrote:
> matlantis wrote:
>> So what i need is a method to say emacs to make the buffer name looking like
>> "CMakeLists.txt in <path>". Even better would be if <path> could be
>> abbreviated to 30 characters, but thats not important.
>
> do M-x customize-variable RET uniquify-buffer-name-style RET and select the
> style you prefer.

Where is that variable defined? It does not seem to be autoloaded.

* Re: file path in buffer name
@ 2009-11-16 20:21     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.10847.1258404828.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-11-16 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Emacs Users

Am 16.11.2009 um 21:07 schrieb Lennart Borgman:

> Where is that variable defined? It does not seem to be autoloaded.

uniquify.el

--
Greetings

   Pete

				– Oscar Wilde

* Re: file path in buffer name
@ 2009-11-16 20:53     ` Sean Sieger
       [not found]     ` <mailman.10847.1258404828.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-11-16 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

    On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 8:10 PM, Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > matlantis wrote:
    >> So what i need is a method to say emacs to make the buffer name looking like
    >> "CMakeLists.txt in <path>". Even better would be if <path> could be
    >> abbreviated to 30 characters, but thats not important.
    >
    > do M-x customize-variable RET uniquify-buffer-name-style RET and select the
    > style you prefer.

    Where is that variable defined? It does not seem to be autoloaded.

One has to (require 'uniquify), right?  It still isn't in the manual.

* Re: file path in buffer name
@ 2009-11-16 21:23       ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2009-11-16 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Sieger; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

       On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 8:10 PM, Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> wrote:
       > matlantis wrote:
       >> So what i need is a method to say emacs to make the buffer name looking like
       >> "CMakeLists.txt in <path>". Even better would be if <path> could be
       >> abbreviated to 30 characters, but thats not important.
       >
       > do M-x customize-variable RET uniquify-buffer-name-style RET and select the
       > style you prefer.

       Where is that variable defined? It does not seem to be autoloaded.

   One has to (require 'uniquify), right?  It still isn't in the manual.

your bug report.

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: file path in buffer name
       [not found]   ` <mailman.10839.1258402065.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-11-17  7:27     ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2009-11-17  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 8:10 PM, Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> do M-x customize-variable RET uniquify-buffer-name-style RET and select the
>> style you prefer.
>
> Where is that variable defined? It does not seem to be autoloaded.

mmm... looks like you're right. you need to do M-x customize-group RET uniquify
RET, then the first option is said variable. customize-variable works for me
because i have already customized it...

sorry for the misinformation.

--

@ 2009-11-17  7:31       ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2009-11-17  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sean Sieger wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>     On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 8:10 PM, Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> wrote:
>     > matlantis wrote:
>     >> So what i need is a method to say emacs to make the buffer name looking like
>     >> "CMakeLists.txt in <path>". Even better would be if <path> could be
>     >> abbreviated to 30 characters, but thats not important.
>     >
>     > do M-x customize-variable RET uniquify-buffer-name-style RET and select the
>     > style you prefer.
>

>     Where is that variable defined? It does not seem to be autoloaded.
>
> One has to (require 'uniquify), right?  It still isn't in the manual.

when i do 'emacs -Q', i can do M-x customize-group RET uniqify RET, so no
require seems to be necessary.

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: file path in buffer name
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-11-17 10:39 ` matlantis
       [not found] ` <mailman.10881.1258454397.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: matlantis @ 2009-11-17 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Thanks a lot for all the answers. i did not know that customization variable
and find it absolutely sufficient for my purpose.
it showed me again: emacs is the best ;-)

greetings

Martin

matlantis wrote:

> Hi emacs friends,
>
> i have to edit multiple files with the same file name (CMakeLists.txt) and
> since emacs gives the buffer the name of the file and adding a number to
> it, it is very hard to decide with buffer has which file.
>
> So what i need is a method to say emacs to make the buffer name looking
> like "CMakeLists.txt in <path>". Even better would be if <path> could be
> abbreviated to 30 characters, but thats not important.
>
> I have no experience in elisp programming, please can anybody explain to
> me, what to put in my .emacs file to give emacs the desired behavior?
>
> best regards and thanks for help
>
> Martin

* Re: file path in buffer name
@ 2009-11-17 14:43         ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-11-17 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    > One has to (require 'uniquify), right?  It still isn't in the manual.

    when i do 'emacs -Q', i can do M-x customize-group RET uniqify RET, so no
    require seems to be necessary.

How should the documentation read?

(info "(emacs) Uniquify")

* Re: file path in buffer name
@ 2009-11-17 15:17       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-11-17 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Sieger; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 9:53 PM, Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>    On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 8:10 PM, Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> wrote:
>    > matlantis wrote:
>    >> So what i need is a method to say emacs to make the buffer name looking like
>    >> "CMakeLists.txt in <path>". Even better would be if <path> could be
>    >> abbreviated to 30 characters, but thats not important.
>    >
>    > do M-x customize-variable RET uniquify-buffer-name-style RET and select the
>    > style you prefer.
>

>    Where is that variable defined? It does not seem to be autoloaded.
>
> One has to (require 'uniquify), right?  It still isn't in the manual.

Yes, currently you have to do (require 'uniquify). However we are
talking on Emacs Devel about changing this so that you do not have to
do that. You can currently do "M-x customize-group RET uniquify RET"
without doing (require 'uniquify). In the future the same may be
possible with customize-variable.

* Re: file path in buffer name
@ 2009-11-17 15:31         ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-11-17 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

    > One has to (require 'uniquify), right?  It still isn't in the manual.

    Yes, currently you have to do (require 'uniquify). However we are
    talking on Emacs Devel about changing this so that you do not have to
    do that. You can currently do "M-x customize-group RET uniquify RET"
    without doing (require 'uniquify). In the future the same may be
    possible with customize-variable.

Okay.

I don't use M-x customize, it bugs me.

* Re: file path in buffer name
@ 2009-11-17 15:36           ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-11-17 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Sieger; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>    > One has to (require 'uniquify), right?  It still isn't in the manual.
>

>    Yes, currently you have to do (require 'uniquify). However we are
>    talking on Emacs Devel about changing this so that you do not have to
>    do that. You can currently do "M-x customize-group RET uniquify RET"
>    without doing (require 'uniquify). In the future the same may be
>    possible with customize-variable.
>
> Okay.
>
> I don't use M-x customize, it bugs me.

Then you can't customize the options.

* Re: file path in buffer name
@ 2009-11-17 16:12             ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-11-17 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

    On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> wrote:

    > I don't use M-x customize, it bugs me.

    Then you can't customize the options.

I don't want to Lennart, I want to hand-write my dotemacs configuration
file.

* Re: file path in buffer name
@ 2009-11-17 16:22               ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-11-17 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Sieger; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 5:12 PM, Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>    On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>    > I don't use M-x customize, it bugs me.
>
>    Then you can't customize the options.
>
> I don't want to Lennart, I want to hand-write my dotemacs configuration
> file.

Yes, I know. It is possible to hand-write, but then you have to read
the source code for the options carefully. And of course change what
you write if the source code gets updated.

I guess you know this, but all readers are perhpas not aware of it.

* Re: file path in buffer name
@ 2009-11-17 16:49                 ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-11-17 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

    Yes, I know. It is possible to hand-write, but then you have to read
    the source code for the options carefully. And of course change what
    you write if the source code gets updated.

I shouldn't expect to find the options in the GNU/Emacs Manual??

* Re: file path in buffer name
@ 2009-11-17 16:55                   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-11-17 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Sieger; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>    Yes, I know. It is possible to hand-write, but then you have to read
>    the source code for the options carefully. And of course change what
>    you write if the source code gets updated.
>
> I shouldn't expect to find the options in the GNU/Emacs Manual??

That is not the problem.

The problem with setting customize option with hand-writing is that
there may be for example :set and :initialize functions that are
called by customize-option etc.

Those functions are there for a reason. They make it easier to set
everything up correctly.

* Re: file path in buffer name
@ 2009-11-17 20:54                     ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-11-17 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

    On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> wrote:

    > I shouldn't expect to find the options in the GNU/Emacs Manual??

    That is not the problem.

We're having two different conversations, Lennart.

* Re: file path in buffer name
@ 2009-11-17 21:16                       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-11-17 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Sieger; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 9:54 PM, Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>    On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>    > I shouldn't expect to find the options in the GNU/Emacs Manual??
>
>    That is not the problem.
>
> We're having two different conversations, Lennart.

I see. There are some 7000 options in bare Emacs. I do not believe all
of them are in the manual.

* RE: file path in buffer name
@ 2009-11-17 21:40                         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-11-17 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Lennart Borgman', 'Sean Sieger'; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> There are some 7000 options in bare Emacs. I do not believe all
> of them are in the manual.

All of them? Let's see.

Is every option that is in the manual in its Variable Index? I'm guessing yes
(modulo indexing bugs).

Is every variable that is in the Variable Index an option? No; the second one
listed, `abbrev-file-name', is a counter example.

How many variables are there in the Variable Index? 786 (`M-x what-line' shows
there are 795 lines, minus 9 for the intro text.)

So if there are ~7000 options at startup time, maybe ~10% are in the manual.
Yes, certainly far from all.

Some options are no doubt documented in the Elisp manual, instead. But there
there is no division of that index by object type (e.g. variable vs function),
so there is no easy way that I'm aware of to count them.

* Re: file path in buffer name
@ 2009-11-17 22:01                           ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-11-17 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    > There are some 7000 options in bare Emacs. I do not believe all
    > of them are in the manual.

    All of them? Let's see.

    Is every option that is in the manual in its Variable Index? I'm guessing yes
    (modulo indexing bugs).

    Is every variable that is in the Variable Index an option? No; the second one
    listed, `abbrev-file-name', is a counter example.

    How many variables are there in the Variable Index? 786 (`M-x what-line' shows
    there are 795 lines, minus 9 for the intro text.)

    So if there are ~7000 options at startup time, maybe ~10% are in the manual.
    Yes, certainly far from all.

    Some options are no doubt documented in the Elisp manual, instead. But there
    there is no division of that index by object type (e.g. variable vs function),
    so there is no easy way that I'm aware of to count them.

My dexterity with the obvious aside, an unexpected lesson from this
thread is that I can learn a lot by browsing Customize.  Thank you,
fellas.

* RE: file path in buffer name
@ 2009-11-17 22:16                             ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-11-17 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Sean Sieger', help-gnu-emacs

> an unexpected lesson from this thread is that I can learn
> a lot by browsing Customize.

Browse? Yes, maybe.
But don't forget the `customize-apropos' family.
`C-h f customize-apropos TAB'
They will help your browsing.

* Re: file path in buffer name
@ 2009-11-17 23:02                               ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-11-17 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 5:16 PM, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
>> an unexpected lesson from this thread is that I can learn
>> a lot by browsing Customize.
>
> Browse? Yes, maybe.
> But don't forget the `customize-apropos' family.
> `C-h f customize-apropos TAB'
> They will help your browsing.

Thank you, I'll give it a try.

Once upon a time, I used to use Customize to `steal' code from
---wanting to write elisp as much as I did(!)---and probably learned
about Emacs that way then.

I remember learning of GNU/Emacs from Tim Bray mentioning it.

* Re: file path in buffer name
       [not found] ` <mailman.10881.1258454397.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-11-29  7:19   ` Barrie
From: Barrie @ 2009-11-29  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 02:39:45 -0800, matlantis wrote:

I've got this in my .emacs-custom.el  My want to give it a shot.

;; show entire file path in frame title
   (setq frame-title-format "Emacs - %f")