all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#1023: Can't resize on Mac OS
@ 2008-09-24 20:10 ` Ken Harris
From: Ken Harris @ 2008-09-24 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

Resizing of the Emacs window (frame?  the windowing-system-level
thing) doesn't work right:

(a) If I click the Zoom (+) button in the window's titlebar, the
window becomes unresizeable: dragging the corner no longer has an
effect, until I click the Zoom button again.

(b) When I switch from a large external display to my laptop's
display, I have less screen area, but unlike all my other apps, the
Emacs window doesn't shrink itself to fit on my display.

(c) New windows inherit this broken behavior (i.e., can't be resized),
so I can't just C-x 5 2 to fix it.  The new frame is 80x38 chars, and
can't be resized.  It can only be Zoomed, which makes it 7 lines
taller, but still can't be resized.

The upshot of these is that if I switch displays when Emacs is
running, its session gets kind of screwed.  I can either have a window
that's way too tall (can't see the modeline/minibuffer), or (if I Zoom
the window) I have a window that's too narrow (and can't be resized to
be wider).

I'm using a MacBook (Intel Core 2 Duo) with Mac OS X 10.5.4, though
I've been seeing this behavior on this machine for a while (likely
even on 10.4 ... can't remember for sure).

Thanks!

In GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-apple-darwin8.11.1, Carbon Version 1.6.0)
 of 2008-03-26 on seijiz.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple Inc.', version 10.5.4
configured using `configure
'--prefix=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources' '--with-carbon'
'--without-x' '--libexecdir=/Volumes/Emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/libexec'
'CFLAGS=-Os -arch i386 -arch ppc -isysroot
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -DUSE_ATSUI -DUSE_MAC_TSM''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  locale-coding-system: japanese-iso-8bit
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Ruby

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  hl-line-mode: t
  ruby-electric-mode: t
  outline-minor-mode: t
  encoded-kbd-mode: t
  flymake-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  mac-print-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
  utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-s f i n d ( C-a C-n
<right> <help-echo> M-x r e p o r t - e m a c s <tab>
<return>

Recent messages:
Quit
Mark saved where search started
Wrote /Users/ken/Documents/ClayValet-gonzales/workflow/image_shrinker.rb
[2 times]
Mark set [2 times]
Wrote /Users/ken/Documents/ClayValet-gonzales/workflow/image_shrinker.rb
[11 times]
Mark set
Wrote /Users/ken/Documents/ClayValet-gonzales/workflow/image_shrinker.rb
(No changes need to be saved)

@ 2008-09-25 13:46   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-09-25 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Harris; +Cc: 1023

> Resizing of the Emacs window (frame?  the windowing-system-level
> thing) doesn't work right:
[...]
> In GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-apple-darwin8.11.1, Carbon Version 1.6.0)

The development of the Carbon version of Emacs has stalled a while ago,
and Emacs-23 will use the Emacs.app code base for Mac OS X support.
Can you try the CVS trunk version of Emacs to see if the Emacs.app
codebase suffers from the same problems?

* bug#1023: Can't resize on Mac OS
@ 2008-09-25 14:27   ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2008-09-25 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Harris, 1023; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

On 24 Sep 2008, at 16:10, Ken Harris wrote:

> Resizing of the Emacs window (frame?  the windowing-system-level
> thing) doesn't work right:
>
> (a) If I click the Zoom (+) button in the window's titlebar, the
> window becomes unresizeable: dragging the corner no longer has an
> effect, until I click the Zoom button again.

Can't reproduce.

> (b) When I switch from a large external display to my laptop's
> display, I have less screen area, but unlike all my other apps, the
> Emacs window doesn't shrink itself to fit on my display.

Yes, I can confirm that.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* bug#1023: Can't resize on Mac OS
@ 2008-09-25 21:43     ` YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu @ 2008-09-25 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Reitter, Ken Harris, 1023

>> Resizing of the Emacs window (frame?  the windowing-system-level
>> thing) doesn't work right:
>>
>> (a) If I click the Zoom (+) button in the window's titlebar, the
>> window becomes unresizeable: dragging the corner no longer has an
>> effect, until I click the Zoom button again.

> Can't reproduce.

I can't reproduce it with Emacs 22.3/Mac OS X 10.5.5, either.

>> (b) When I switch from a large external display to my laptop's
>> display, I have less screen area, but unlike all my other apps, the
>> Emacs window doesn't shrink itself to fit on my display.

> Yes, I can confirm that.

I don't have a plan to change the behavior for the Carbon port, but
the Carbon+AppKit port (*) would shrink the frame to fit the screen
for that case.

*: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-09/msg00268.html

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp

* bug#1023: Can't resize on Mac OS
@ 2008-09-25 21:53       ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2008-09-25 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu; +Cc: 1023, Ken Harris

On 25 Sep 2008, at 17:43, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu wrote:

>>> Resizing of the Emacs window (frame?  the windowing-system-level
>>> thing) doesn't work right:
>>>
>>> (a) If I click the Zoom (+) button in the window's titlebar, the
>>> window becomes unresizeable: dragging the corner no longer has an
>>> effect, until I click the Zoom button again.
>
>> Can't reproduce.
>
> I can't reproduce it with Emacs 22.3/Mac OS X 10.5.5, either.
>
>>> (b) When I switch from a large external display to my laptop's
>>> display, I have less screen area, but unlike all my other apps, the
>>> Emacs window doesn't shrink itself to fit on my display.
>
>> Yes, I can confirm that.
>
> I don't have a plan to change the behavior for the Carbon port, but
> the Carbon+AppKit port (*) would shrink the frame to fit the screen
> for that case.

But what I do see occasionally is that after switching from my large
screen to the small one, the frame becomes unresizeable and the zoom
button stops working.
I can programmatically change the frame size (my own "scatter frames"
function) but nothing manual.
So there's definitely some bug.

As a side-node, your port is the most widely used one and will be for
some time to come - fixing bugs in the 22 branch is absolutely
worthwhile.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* bug#1023: Can't resize on Mac OS
@ 2008-09-25 21:54         ` Ken Harris
From: Ken Harris @ 2008-09-25 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: 1023

>> (a) If I click the Zoom (+) button in the window's titlebar, the
>> window becomes unresizeable: dragging the corner no longer has an
>> effect, until I click the Zoom button again.
>
> Can't reproduce.

This seems to only happen after I switch from the external to the
builtin display.

> Can you try the CVS trunk version of Emacs to see if the Emacs.app
> codebase suffers from the same problems?

I'll try to build it later this afternoon, unless somebody has a
recent binary.  I've never built Emacs on a Mac before, so wish me
luck.

- Ken

* bug#1023: Can't resize on Mac OS
@ 2008-09-25 22:17         ` YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu @ 2008-09-25 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Reitter, Ken Harris, 1023

>>> Yes, I can confirm that.
>>
>> I don't have a plan to change the behavior for the Carbon port, but
>> the Carbon+AppKit port (*) would shrink the frame to fit the screen
>> for that case.

> But what I do see occasionally is that after switching from my large
> screen to the small one, the frame becomes unresizeable and the zoom
> button stops working.  I can programmatically change the frame size
> (my own "scatter frames" function) but nothing manual.  So there's
> definitely some bug.

I meant only about automatic resizing on the screen size change.  I
still can't reproduce the case that "the zoom button stops working."
Could you give concrete configuration and steps to reproduce the
latter?

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp

* bug#1023: Can't resize on Mac OS
@ 2008-09-25 22:44           ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2008-09-25 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu; +Cc: 1023, Ken Harris

On 25 Sep 2008, at 18:17, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu wrote:

> I meant only about automatic resizing on the screen size change.  I
> still can't reproduce the case that "the zoom button stops working."
> Could you give concrete configuration and steps to reproduce the
> latter?

I will try to - just now the problem didn't occur when I switched.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* bug#1023: Can't resize on Mac OS
@ 2008-09-25 22:52           ` Ken Harris
From: Ken Harris @ 2008-09-25 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu; +Cc: 1023

> I meant only about automatic resizing on the screen size change.  I
> still can't reproduce the case that "the zoom button stops working."
> Could you give concrete configuration and steps to reproduce the
> latter?

Note that it's not the zoom button that stops working.  It's the resize control.

Hardware: MacBook, 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM.
OS: Mac OS X 10.5.4.
Emacs: Carbon Emacs ("Spring, 2008; Carbon Emacs Package by S.
Zenitani et al." in the Finder, "GNU Emacs 22.2.1
(i386-apple-darwin8.11.1, Carbon Version 1.6.0)" in the *GNU Emacs*
buffer.

Procedure: Plug sleeping MacBook into external 24" DVI display, USB
keyboard and mouse, and power supply (the latter wakes it from sleep).
 Launch Emacs; note that you can resize the window.  Unplug display,
keyboard, mouse, power supply (puts it to sleep).  Open lid; observe
that you can no longer resize the Emacs window.

I tried this now twice in a row, and it did the same thing both times.
 In both cases, once I plugged in the external display again, the
Emacs window regained its ability to be resized.  (Otherwise, I have
to relaunch Emacs to do this.)

- Ken

* bug#1023: Can't resize on Mac OS
@ 2008-09-25 23:11             ` YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu @ 2008-09-25 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Harris; +Cc: 1023

>> I meant only about automatic resizing on the screen size change.  I
>> still can't reproduce the case that "the zoom button stops
>> working."  Could you give concrete configuration and steps to
>> reproduce the latter?

> Note that it's not the zoom button that stops working.  It's the
> resize control.

Do you mean "Can't resize because the resize control becomes outside
the screen and invisible", or "The resize control is on screen and
visible, but nothing happens when you drag it"?

> Procedure: Plug sleeping MacBook into external 24" DVI display, USB
> keyboard and mouse, and power supply (the latter wakes it from
> sleep).  Launch Emacs; note that you can resize the window.  Unplug
> display, keyboard, mouse, power supply (puts it to sleep).  Open
> lid; observe that you can no longer resize the Emacs window.

Is mirroring turned on or not?  What is the resolution setting for
each monitor?

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp

* bug#1023: Can't resize on Mac OS
@ 2008-09-25 23:18               ` Ken Harris
From: Ken Harris @ 2008-09-25 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu; +Cc: 1023

> Do you mean "Can't resize because the resize control becomes outside
> the screen and invisible", or "The resize control is on screen and
> visible, but nothing happens when you drag it"?

The resize control is visible.  When I point at it and press the mouse
button, the border of the window changes color, as if it's going to do
an old-style outline-resize, but dragging has no effect.

> Is mirroring turned on or not?  What is the resolution setting for
> each monitor?

The displays are not mirrored; at any given time, I'm using only the
internal, or only the external display.  The Macbook internal display
is 1280x800 (I believe), and the 24" is 1680x1050.

- Ken

* bug#1023: Can't resize on Mac OS
@ 2008-09-27  1:48                 ` YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu @ 2008-09-27  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Harris; +Cc: 1023

>> Do you mean "Can't resize because the resize control becomes
>> outside the screen and invisible", or "The resize control is on
>> screen and visible, but nothing happens when you drag it"?

> The resize control is visible.  When I point at it and press the
> mouse button, the border of the window changes color, as if it's
> going to do an old-style outline-resize, but dragging has no effect.

Still can't reproduce.  I'd suspect it's specific to particular
distributions (Carbon Emacs Package in you case) and not a bug in
Carbon Emacs.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp

* bug#1023: Can't resize on Mac OS
@ 2008-09-27  2:56                   ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2008-09-27  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu; +Cc: 1023, Ken Harris

On 26 Sep 2008, at 21:48, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu wrote:

> Still can't reproduce.  I'd suspect it's specific to particular
> distributions (Carbon Emacs Package in you case) and not a bug in
> Carbon Emacs.

I can see it in Aquamacs right now (after switching from the large to
the small display).  Green button doesn't work, and no frame can be
resized - even  new ones don't resize.
To my knowledge there is no patch in Aquamacs that would directly
affect this kind of window handling, and nor would I expect one in
Carbon Emacs Package.  We do have the mac-fullscreen patch in common.
Maybe we should look at that.

Ken, do you use fullscreen editing at all, or did you enter it during
your last Emacs session when this occurred?

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* bug#1023: Can't resize on Mac OS
@ 2008-09-27  3:28                     ` Ken Harris
From: Ken Harris @ 2008-09-27  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: 1023

> Ken, do you use fullscreen editing at all, or did you enter it during your
> last Emacs session when this occurred?

Nope, my Procedure listed everything I did.  (I didn't even know Emacs
*had* a fullscreen mode, though I guess by now it really shouldn't
surprise me.)

I reinstalled XCode yesterday, so I'll try building Emacs from CVS, if
I can figure that out.

- Ken

* bug#1023: Can't resize on Mac OS
@ 2008-10-01 21:22                       ` Ken Harris
From: Ken Harris @ 2008-10-01 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: monnier, David Reitter; +Cc: 1023

Stefan (and others):

I can't seem to build Emacs.

I tried "./configure && make" (as in INSTALL), and I tried
--with-carbon --without-x (from some webpage), and "make bootstrap",
and some other suggestions I found online.  The best I got was a
(text-only) src/emacs binary, but mac/Emacs.app is empty.

If anybody has a recent Emacs (but not Carbon Emacs Package) build,
I'd be happy to try it.  Or if there's some trick to building Emacs on
the Mac, I'll give it another go.  Otherwise I guess I'll wait for
Emacs 23.

- Ken

* bug#1023: Can't resize on Mac OS
@ 2008-10-02  0:25                         ` YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu @ 2008-10-02  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Harris; +Cc: 1023

> I can't seem to build Emacs.

> I tried "./configure && make" (as in INSTALL), and I tried
> --with-carbon --without-x (from some webpage), and "make bootstrap",
> and some other suggestions I found online.  The best I got was a
> (text-only) src/emacs binary, but mac/Emacs.app is empty.

The most reliable way is to grab the Emacs 22.3 source tarball from
some GNU mirror site.  Build instruction is found at mac/INSTALL.  You
don't need `make bootstrap' for release versions.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp

* bug#1023: Can't resize on Mac OS
@ 2008-10-02 15:00                           ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2008-10-02 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Harris; +Cc: 1023

On 1 Oct 2008, at 20:25, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu wrote:

>> I tried "./configure && make" (as in INSTALL), and I tried
>> --with-carbon --without-x (from some webpage), and "make bootstrap",
>> and some other suggestions I found online.  The best I got was a
>> (text-only) src/emacs binary, but mac/Emacs.app is empty.
>
> The most reliable way is to grab the Emacs 22.3 source tarball from
> some GNU mirror site.  Build instruction is found at mac/INSTALL.  You
> don't need `make bootstrap' for release versions.

Ken, you can download a ready-to-install build of GNU Emacs 22 from
CVS HEAD (Carbon) at http://aquamacs.org/nightlies.shtml.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* bug#1023: Can't resize on Mac OS
@ 2008-10-02 16:13                         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2008-10-02 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Harris; +Cc: 1023

"Ken Harris" wrote:

> I tried "./configure && make" (as in INSTALL), and I tried
> --with-carbon --without-x (from some webpage), and "make bootstrap",
> and some other suggestions I found online.  The best I got was a
> (text-only) src/emacs binary, but mac/Emacs.app is empty.

To build the Mac version of the CVS trunk, please read
nextstep/INSTALL (this should be more clearly indicated from the
top-level).

In short:

./configure --with-ns
make
make install

* bug#1023: Can't resize on Mac OS
@ 2008-10-02 19:56                           ` Ken Harris
From: Ken Harris @ 2008-10-02 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 1023

Hi Glenn,

> To build the Mac version of the CVS trunk, please read
> nextstep/INSTALL (this should be more clearly indicated from the
> top-level).

Ah, I see it now.  OK, I built that (from CVS trunk), got a working
Emacs.app, and resizing after suspend seems to work now.  Great!

I guess we can call this one resolved.

Thanks, everybody, for the tips and suggestions and all!

- Ken

* bug#1023: Can't resize on Mac OS
@ 2008-10-02 20:07                             ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2008-10-02 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Harris; +Cc: 1023

On 2 Oct 2008, at 15:56, Ken Harris wrote:

> I guess we can call this one resolved.

I'm glad it solves the problem for you.

To us others: that doesn't mean that the bug is fixed, given that
we've got an estimated 12,000 regular users (and many more occasional
users) who are using one of the distributions released from CVS.
Let's be professional and support the stable 22 branch until a good
while after 23.1 has been released!

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* bug#1023: marked as done (Can't resize on Mac OS)
@ 2008-10-02 21:20   ` Emacs bug Tracking System
From: Emacs bug Tracking System @ 2008-10-02 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris

Your message dated Thu, 02 Oct 2008 17:12:29 -0400
with message-id <bn4p3u66rm.fsf@fencepost.gnu.org>
and subject line Re: bug#1023: Can't resize on Mac OS
has caused the Emacs bug report #1023,
regarding Can't resize on Mac OS
to be marked as done.

This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.

(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what this
message is talking about, this may indicate a serious mail system
misconfiguration somewhere. Please contact don@donarmstrong.com
immediately.)

--
1023: http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1023
Emacs Bug Tracking System

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 6182 bytes --]

From: "Ken Harris" <kengruven@gmail.com>
To: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Can't resize on Mac OS
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 13:10:25 -0700

[...]

[-- Attachment #3: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2488 bytes --]

From: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
To: 1023-done@emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com
Subject: Re: bug#1023: Can't resize on Mac OS
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 17:12:29 -0400

David Reitter wrote:

> To us others: that doesn't mean that the bug is fixed, given that
> we've got an estimated 12,000 regular users (and many more occasional
> users) who are using one of the distributions released from CVS.
> Let's be professional and support the stable 22 branch until a good
> while after 23.1 has been released!

Please propose such policy shifts on emacs-devel rather than in our
bug-tracker.