all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* flyspell-mode
@ 2006-07-05 16:41 Paul Cizmas
From: Paul Cizmas @ 2006-07-05 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello:

I am trying to turn on flyspell-mode by using .emacs.

I can turn on and turn off flyspell-mode by using M-x flyspell-mode (as said on page 121 of GNU Emacs manual by R. Stallman).

I want to do this using my .emacs file such that I do not have to do it manually for each file.

I added in .emacs the line

(setq flyspell-mode t)

It appears that the spell checker does not work.  If I check, however, in the Tools in the emacs, the flyspell square symbol seems on.

I would appreciate it if you could help.

Thanks,

Paul

* Re: flyspell-mode
       [not found] <mailman.3813.1152166707.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-07-06  9:15 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-07-06  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Cizmas <cizmas@mac.com> writes:

Hi Paul,

> I added in .emacs the line
>
> (setq flyspell-mode t)

Setting a mode's variable has no effect at all. These are only used
internally to check if a mode is turned on. Instead use the mode's
function. When you invoke `M-x flyspell-mode' you do exactly that.

Have a look at the function's documentation:

,----[ C-h f flyspell-mode RET ]
| flyspell-mode is an interactive autoloaded Lisp function in `flyspell'.
| It is bound to <menu-bar> <tools> <spell> <flyspell-mode>.
| (flyspell-mode &optional ARG)
|
| Minor mode performing on-the-fly spelling checking.
| This spawns a single Ispell process and checks each word.
| The default flyspell behavior is to highlight incorrect words.
| With no argument, this command toggles Flyspell mode.
| With a prefix argument ARG, turn Flyspell minor mode on iff ARG is
| positive.
`----

So put this in your ~/.emacs:

  (flyspell-mode 1)

The argument 1 prevents toggling off the mode when you load your .emacs
another time.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
"Emacs is not a development tool but a way of life."
     - David Kastrup in alt.religion.emacs -

* flyspell-mode
@ 2007-06-28  3:12 Paul Cizmas
From: Paul Cizmas @ 2007-06-28  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi:

I am using GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin, X toolkit) of
2006-03-22.

I am trying to turn on by default flyspell-mode.  To do this, I added
in my .emacs file a line

(setq flyspell-mode t)

It does not seem to work.

To have flyspell work I have to do:

M-x flyspell-mode twice - first time is says "Loading
flyspell...done"; second time it says "Starting new Ispell process..."

(1) What shall I do to make .emacs turn on flyspell?

(2) How can I avoid typing the M-x flyspell-mode twice (in case 1
does not work)?

Thanks,
Paul