all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Box cursor at EoL
@ 2022-10-05 15:16 Dr Rainer Woitok
From: Dr Rainer Woitok @ 2022-10-05 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Greetings,

being in the process of "converting" from XEmacs to Emacs I currently am
missing XEmacs' habbit  of using a  different cursor shape  for a cursor
sitting on an invisible EoL character  as opposed to a cursor sitting on
an as invisible trailing blank.   I always loved  this feature of XEmacs
because I've always hated unnoticed trailing blanks :-)

Searching the web  up to now I only found references  to using different
cursors for  active/inactive frames  or for different major/minor modes.
Because an EoL character is slimmer than a blank,  I tried setting vari-
able "x-stretch-cursor" to t, but as the "-stretch-" part in the name is
already suggesting, this variable has only effect on wider characters.

So I'm now asking the combined wisdom of this list  whether or not there
is a way to coax Emacs into using a different cursor at EoL.

Any pointers welcome :-)

Sincerely,
  Rainer

* Re: Box cursor at EoL
@ 2022-10-18  8:29 Anders Munch
From: Anders Munch @ 2022-10-18  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Emanuel Berg wrote:
>Kenneth Goldman wrote:
>> In many open source communities, a change that affects white space
>> would be discouraged or rejected.
>
> Yes, but that's from the perspective of their systems that would denote such
> changes as ... changes, right? So if they are annoyed by that, they should
> change their own systems that report that ...

I prefer an editor that doesn't change my files unless I ask it to.

Emacs does a very good job of that.  One problem I've encountered is the default
setting of require-final-newline.  That caused me some trouble, until I figured
out to switch it off.

regards, Anders

* Re: Box cursor at EoL
@ 2022-10-18 10:54 Anders Munch
From: Anders Munch @ 2022-10-18 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Colin Baxter [mailto:m43cap@yandex.com] wrote:
> Anders Munch <ajm@flonidan.dk> writes:
>> Emacs does a very good job of that.  One problem I've encountered
>> is the default setting of require-final-newline.  That caused me
>> some trouble, until I figured out to switch it off.
>
> I too switch off require-final-newline, but I seem to remember reading
> somewhere that text files should end with a new line. I do not know whether
> this was to do with style or something more significant. Does anyone else know
> of this "requirement"?

It's a POSIX thing.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/729692/why-should-text-files-end-with-a-newline
And there's a potential issue with C include files.

regards, Anders