Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > You don't need to regenerate the TAGS file unless you add or delete > files, functions, macros, or typedefs. And for the purpose of search > and replace, you don't need to regenerate unless some files were added > or deleted. > Exactly - which is just about every time I search! When I'm programming I'm adding new files and definitions constantly. > An alternative method of multi-file search and replace is the Q > command in Dired buffers. You mark those files in which you wish to > search and replace, and then press Q; the rest is just like with TAGS, > except that no TAGS file is needed. Thanks - didn't know that. It looks useful. Back in my Windows days I used an editor called TSE, and I wrote something for it that achieved much the same effect as find-tag and friends without the need to manually update the tags file. It maintained the equivalent of a TAGS file and dynamically updated it as you added new files and definitions. I rather miss it's convenience - maybe one day I'll miss it enough to write an Emacs equivalent :) I suspect that all that wouldbe needed would be to hook something in to rerun "etags" at the appropriate times, so it would be easier than what I wrote for TSE, where I had to implement the whoe etags style functionality. Unless someone else has already done it? Andy B -- View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Search-and-replace-in-all-buffers-t973310.html#a2525247 Sent from the Emacs - Help forum at Nabble.com.