On 2016-10-02 12:39, martin rudalics wrote: >>> We do: Emacs' native tooltip frames with a ‘border-width’ of zero should >>> accomplish precisely that. >> >> I meant the feature to create an arbitrary frame without a border, from ELisp. We don't have this, AFAICT. > > What is an arbitrary frame? A frame without the window manager's title > bar can't be dragged with the mouse. A frame without an external border > can't be resized with the mouse. Doesn't that depend on the window manager? For example, I can press Meta while dragging a frame to move it on my distro. By arbitrary frame, I meant the kind of frame that you can create with make-frame (as opposed to a tooltip frame). IIUC, the main difference is whether you can create multiple of them at the same time. >>> The recipes there don't work: The ‘border-width’ parameter is usually >>> ignored by the window manager for "normal" frames and replaced by the >>> standard border. You have to create a CWOverrideRedirect window - a >>> frame that is _not_ handled by the window manager. >> >> Right. Do we have a way to do this from ELisp? > > Add a (border-width . 0) entry to `tooltip-frame-parameters' and show a > native Emacs tooltip. Can we show multiple of these at once? I thought we were limited to having a single one shown at any time, unlike regular frames. Cheers, Clément.