all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Warning to those using rgrep on Mac OS X
@ 2012-12-17 18:03 Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2012-12-17 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs help

I'm using Mac OS 10.7.5 and emacs 24.1.1

Over the weekend I discovered that the command line that rgrep produces does not work.  This is not an emacs issue... I'm just trying to warn people.

I was not able to 100% characterize it but it appears that if the matches are for files very far down the directory structure, *sometimes* the command will just return immediately.  I was matching create_view_specs and the file that should have matched was at

.bundle/gems/ruby/1.9.1/gems/rspec-rails-2.12.0/lib/generators/rspec/view/view_generator.rb

If I started at the file's directory, it matched.  If I moved up one or two directories, it matched.  If I moved up three directories, it would match but the string produced was not what the emacs pattern was looking for.  If I moved up four directories, the command would just immediately return.  Doing the same from the command line had the same results so its not an emacs bug.

The command is producing the -exec grep ..... +  version. grep-find-use-xargs is set to exec-plus

There is no simple way to get setting grep-find-use-xargs to 'gnu to work because out of the box, emacs adds in -e to xargs (which is non-standard and the Mac doesn't have it).  I don't really get what the -e with no string is trying to do.  I'm also slightly puzzled why the grep-probe didn't try other argument patterns... I can't say I 100% understand the code.

If I hand edit the command using -print0 | xargs -0, it does match and then emacs doesn't recognize the string grep issues.

Perry

[parent not found: <mailman.15544.1355767438.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]