all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Google Drive nonfree
@ 2020-02-23  1:00 SuarezMiguelC via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: SuarezMiguelC via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-02-23  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hello Emacs email list!, I'm an user of Emacs which I love using.

I'm here for some clarification, Navigating the Emacs official page, I could see on releases that you present the feature on Emacs 26.1 that you can use TRAMP to connect to Google Drive.

I see problems with this, first, why do we need to connect into a propietary software within emacs? isn't this making Emacs non-free?
Two, well, mentioning non-free software on your documentation on EmacsWiki and also on the main page as I said.

Maybe I have some ideas wrong with this, if I stated something wrong, please correct me.

Thanks!
Miguel Suarez

* Re: Google Drive nonfree
@ 2020-02-23  9:03 ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2020-02-23  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SuarezMiguelC, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On 23.02.2020 3:00, SuarezMiguelC via Users list for the GNU Emacs text
editor wrote:
> I see problems with this, first, why do we need to connect into a propietary software within emacs? isn't this making Emacs non-free?

No, it doesn't. Basically because it uses a network connection to
interface with it.

As for why, well, apparently people find it useful.

* Re: Google Drive nonfree
@ 2020-02-23 16:23 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-02-23 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I see problems with this, first, why do we need to connect into a propietary
> software within Emacs?

It does not make you run proprietary software, AFAIK.  Instead it makes
you contact a remote computer that provides a service over which you
don't have any control.  Whether that computer runs proprietary or Free
software is anyone's guess but doesn't directly impact you.

> isn't this making Emacs non-free?

How could it?

> Two, well, mentioning non-free software on your documentation on EmacsWiki
> and also on the main page as I said.

I wouldn't recommend the use of such proprietary services, indeed.

* Re: Google Drive nonfree
@ 2020-02-23 19:07 Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2020-02-23 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: SuarezMiguelC

<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Hello Emacs email list!, I'm an user of Emacs which I love using.

Hi,

> I'm here for some clarification, Navigating the Emacs official page, I
> could see on releases that you present the feature on Emacs 26.1 that
> you can use TRAMP to connect to Google Drive.
>
> I see problems with this, first, why do we need to connect into a
> propietary software within emacs? isn't this making Emacs non-free?
> Two, well, mentioning non-free software on your documentation on
> EmacsWiki and also on the main page as I said.

Read
<https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/network-services-arent-free-or-nonfree.en.html>.
Network services aren't free or non-free, what matters is the
client. Emacs + Tramp do not use any non-free software.

Tramp does not *recommend* Google Drive. It just offers access to it,
like to many other network ressources.

> Maybe I have some ideas wrong with this, if I stated something wrong,
> please correct me.
>
> Thanks!
> Miguel Suarez

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Google Drive nonfree
@ 2020-02-23 19:10 Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2020-02-23 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Stefan,

>> Two, well, mentioning non-free software on your documentation on EmacsWiki
>> and also on the main page as I said.
>
> I wouldn't recommend the use of such proprietary services, indeed.

Tramp does not recommend Google Drive, it mentions its configuration
inside Tramp. I don't believe we shall add *undocumented* features to
Tramp, it wouldn't make sense.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Google Drive nonfree
@ 2020-02-23 22:06 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-02-23 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>>> Two, well, mentioning non-free software on your documentation on EmacsWiki
>>> and also on the main page as I said.
>> I wouldn't recommend the use of such proprietary services, indeed.
> Tramp does not recommend Google Drive, it mentions its configuration
> inside Tramp.

I know.  I just wanted to clarify that my earlier clarification (which
basically said it's OK to access Google Drive from Emacs) was not
to be taken as recommending those services.