On 11/2/19 10:54 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: >> Cc: 38026@debbugs.gnu.org >> From: Hong Xu >> Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2019 10:07:03 -0700 >> >> On 11/2/19 1:03 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: >>> Thanks, but I don't see how this clarifies the issue. Can you tell >>> more about your motivation? >>> >> >> The motivation is to clarify what a negative NABS means. From the current document, it is unclear that NABS can be negative. > > In that case, the patch is insufficient. First, we don't document > minibuffer-default in the manual, so referencing it will leave the > reader wondering what it is, and how it is set and used. Second, the > doc string of goto-history-element should also explain what is the > meaning of negative values. And third, several functions bind > minibuffer-default to certain values, and I'm not sure this variable > can usefully be documented in a manual. > > So I think the text needs not reference minibuffer-default, but > instead talk about "future history", like the Emacs manual does. > Thanks. Sounds like a good idea. I've attached an update.