all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Special characters (PHP)
@ 2007-12-02 13:30 Defacta
From: Defacta @ 2007-12-02 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi !

When I code using php-mode the result of special characters are for
example:
"Se d�connecter" instead of "Se déconnecter".

Do you know what I should do to be able to use emacs with special
characters not to have to use stuff like: "é" for the "é"

Thanks,
Vincent.

* Re: Special characters (PHP)
@ 2007-12-02 14:09 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-12-02 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Defacta; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Defacta wrote:
> Hi !
>
> When I code using php-mode the result of special characters are for
> example:
> "Se d�connecter" instead of "Se déconnecter".
>
> Do you know what I should do to be able to use emacs with special
> characters not to have to use stuff like: "é" for the "é"
>
> Thanks,
> Vincent.

There are several ways to take care of this I believe. One is using some
derivative of nxml-mode when editing php files. See nXhtml for one.

* Re: Special characters (PHP)
@ 2007-12-02 15:40 ` Magnus Henoch
       [not found] ` <mailman.4414.1196604563.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.4416.1196610081.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Magnus Henoch @ 2007-12-02 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Defacta <vincent.marguerit@gmail.com> writes:

> When I code using php-mode the result of special characters are for
> example:
> "Se d�connecter" instead of "Se déconnecter".
>
> Do you know what I should do to be able to use emacs with special
> characters not to have to use stuff like: "&eacute;" for the "é"

I suspect that there is a mismatch between the encoding of the file and
the encoding that the web server expects.

Try C-x C-m f (set-buffer-file-coding-system).  Enter either latin-1 or
utf-8; then save and see if it works.  (I suspect that latin-1 is the
right choice)

Magnus

* Re: Special characters (PHP)
       [not found] ` <mailman.4414.1196604563.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-12-02 15:54   ` Defacta
From: Defacta @ 2007-12-02 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2 déc, 15:09, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borg...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Defacta wrote:
> > Hi !
>
> > When I code using php-mode the result of special characters are for
> > example:
> > "Se d�connecter" instead of "Se déconnecter".
>
> > Do you know what I should do to be able to use emacs with special
> > characters not to have to use stuff like: "&eacute;" for the "é"
>
> > Thanks,
> > Vincent.
>
> There are several ways to take care of this I believe. One is using some
> derivative of nxml-mode when editing php files. See nXhtml for one.

Actually, in the html tag there is:
charset=UTF-8

How can I set UFT-8 as charset in Emacs ?

Thanks,
Vincent.

* Re: Special characters (PHP)
       [not found] ` <mailman.4416.1196610081.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-12-02 15:59   ` Defacta
From: Defacta @ 2007-12-02 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2 déc, 16:40, Magnus Henoch <ma...@freemail.hu> wrote:
> Defacta <vincent.margue...@gmail.com> writes:
> > When I code using php-mode the result of special characters are for
> > example:
> > "Se d�connecter" instead of "Se déconnecter".
>
> > Do you know what I should do to be able to use emacs with special
> > characters not to have to use stuff like: "&eacute;" for the "é"
>
> I suspect that there is a mismatch between the encoding of the file and
> the encoding that the web server expects.
>
> Try C-x C-m f (set-buffer-file-coding-system).  Enter either latin-1 or
> utf-8; then save and see if it works.  (I suspect that latin-1 is the
> right choice)
>
> Magnus

set-buffer-file-coding-system set to utf-8 and it works...

Thanks,
Vincent.

* Re: Special characters (PHP)
@ 2007-12-02 16:51     ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-12-02 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Defacta; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Defacta wrote:
> On 2 déc, 15:09, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borg...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Defacta wrote:
>>> Hi !
>>> When I code using php-mode the result of special characters are for
>>> example:
>>> "Se d�connecter" instead of "Se déconnecter".
>>> Do you know what I should do to be able to use emacs with special
>>> characters not to have to use stuff like: "&eacute;" for the "é"
>>> Thanks,
>>> Vincent.
>> There are several ways to take care of this I believe. One is using some
>> derivative of nxml-mode when editing php files. See nXhtml for one.
>
> Actually, in the html tag there is:
> charset=UTF-8
>
> How can I set UFT-8 as charset in Emacs ?

An nxml-mode derivate will do it for you.

* Re: Special characters (PHP)
@ 2007-12-03  3:29     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-12-03  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Actually, in the html tag there is:
> charset=UTF-8

Normally, Emacs-22 tries to find and use those tags, so please report
your case via M-x report-emacs-bug.