all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: insert deleatur sing
       [not found] <874pj2zizn.fsf@literaturlatenight.de>
@ 2007-08-14  7:15 ` henry atting
       [not found] ` <mailman.4756.1187079829.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: henry atting @ 2007-08-14  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

henry atting <henry@literaturlatenight.de> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> how can I insert the deleatur (or denarius) sign in an emacs buffer?
> If I try it for example with input method ucs and u20B0 I only get an
> empty rectangle.
> Same if I insert the Hex Code with M-x ucs-insert.
>
> henry

Forgot to mention I have emacs 23.0.0

* Re: insert deleatur sing
@ 2007-08-14  8:22   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-08-14  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

henry atting <henry@literaturlatenight.de> writes:

> henry atting <henry@literaturlatenight.de> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> how can I insert the deleatur (or denarius) sign in an emacs buffer?
>> If I try it for example with input method ucs and u20B0 I only get an
>> empty rectangle.
>> Same if I insert the Hex Code with M-x ucs-insert.

Most probably that's no problem with emacs itself but the face you're
using.  Are you sure that the font you use in emacs supports this
letter?

> Forgot to mention I have emacs 23.0.0

,----[ ;-) ]
`----

Bye,
Tassilo
--
In the beginning there was nothing...then Chuck Norris Roundhouse kicked
that nothing in the face and said  "Get a job". That is the story of the

@ 2007-08-14  8:23 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.4756.1187079829.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-08-14  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: henry atting; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.08.2007 um 09:13 schrieb henry atting:

> how can I insert the deleatur (or denarius) sign in an emacs buffer?
> If I try it for example with input method ucs and u20B0 I only get an
> empty rectangle.

U+20B0 is GERMAN PENNY SIGN since Unicode 3.2: ₰ – is this the
same character that you mean?

To see a bit more than just an empty rectangle you need to get a font
that has this character. (GNU Emacs 23 is no font.) For example:

	Lucida Grande
	Apple Symbols
	Sun Ext-A
	Doulos SIL
	Charis SIL
	Code2000

All of them are proportional fonts. The DejaVu fonts family (based on
Bitstream Vera) should have ₰ defined: http://dejavu.sourceforge.net/.

--
Greetings

   Pete                                           0
                                            %-/\_//
                                             (*)(*)

* Re: insert deleatur sing
       [not found] ` <mailman.4756.1187079829.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-08-14 14:16   ` henry atting
From: henry atting @ 2007-08-14 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> U+20B0 is GERMAN PENNY SIGN since Unicode 3.2: ₰ – is this the  same
> character that you mean?

Yes, it's also known as the GERMAN PENNY SIGN

> To see a bit more than just an empty rectangle you need to get a font
> that has this character. (GNU Emacs 23 is no font.) For example:
>
> 	Lucida Grande
> 	Apple Symbols
> 	Sun Ext-A
> 	Doulos SIL
> 	Charis SIL
> 	Code2000
>
> All of them are proportional fonts. The DejaVu fonts family (based on
> Bitstream Vera) should have ₰ defined: http://dejavu.sourceforge.net/.

Why, I use this font:

        DejaVu Sans Mono-10

which should make according to the above written, no?

henry

--
http://www.literaturlatenight.de

* Re: insert deleatur sing
@ 2007-08-14 16:01     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-08-14 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: henry atting; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.08.2007 um 16:16 schrieb henry atting:

>> The DejaVu fonts family (based on
>> Bitstream Vera) should have ₰ defined: http://
>> dejavu.sourceforge.net/.
>
> Why, I use this font:
>
>         DejaVu Sans Mono-10
>

> which should make according to the above written, no?

But it's not there/not available. It's only defined in DejaVu Sans,
the proportional font. Check yourself with xfd, FontForge ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

When you meet a master swordsman,