all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Syriac input-method for Emacs
@ 2020-11-22 17:33 Fadi F. Al-Sammak
From: Fadi F. Al-Sammak @ 2020-11-22 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

   Dear Sir / Madam,

   I hope this e-mail finds you well and safe. I just found the hebrew.el
   file for Hebrew input-method in Emacs which sits in this path:

   emacs-27.1/lisp/leim/quail/hebrew.el

   I would be very interested to have the same setup as an input-method
   for the Syriac language. I would be very grateful if you could help me
   with that for the Syriac which happens to be also a Right-to-Left
   language just as the Hebrew. The main objective is to integrate this
   input-method into Emacs, I don't know how difficult this goal to
   achieve.

   I posted a question in the StackExchange platform and put a bounty of
   500 points to do just that. Please see this link below:

   [1]https://emacs.stackexchange.com/q/60520/2443

   I also noticed that there is another hebrew.el file in Emacs source
   code which is sitting in this path:

   emacs-27.1/lisp/language/hebrew.el

   I don't know how these two files are related, or how to write the same
   files for Syriac.

   I would be very grateful for any help or hint to achieve this far
   reaching goal in my opinion.

   Respectfully Yours,

   Fadi F.

   +964-7730001481 (WhatsApp, Viber, Telegram)

References

   1. https://emacs.stackexchange.com/q/60520/2443

* Re: Syriac input-method for Emacs
@ 2020-11-22 18:33 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-11-22 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "Fadi F. Al-Sammak" <ffsammak@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 20:33:31 +0300
>
>    I hope this e-mail finds you well and safe. I just found the hebrew.el
>    file for Hebrew input-method in Emacs which sits in this path:
>
>    emacs-27.1/lisp/leim/quail/hebrew.el
>
>    I would be very interested to have the same setup as an input-method
>    for the Syriac language. I would be very grateful if you could help me
>    with that for the Syriac which happens to be also a Right-to-Left
>    language just as the Hebrew. The main objective is to integrate this
>    input-method into Emacs, I don't know how difficult this goal to
>    achieve.

The first step in defining an input method is to come up with the
layouts of characters on keys of a QWERTY keyboard.  Are there
accepted standards for Syriac keyboards, and if so, could you show the
keyboard layouts?  If there are no accepted standards, could you
propose an arrangement that would make sense to users of the Syriac
script?  I see there are several Syriac keyboard layouts on the
Internet, perhaps we could use one of them?

>    I also noticed that there is another hebrew.el file in Emacs source
>    code which is sitting in this path:
>
>    emacs-27.1/lisp/language/hebrew.el

The former is the Hebrew input methods, the latter is the support for
Hebrew language other than input methods.

* Re: Syriac input-method for Emacs
@ 2020-11-22 18:54 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2020-11-22 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fadi F. Al-Sammak; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Nov 22 2020, Fadi F. Al-Sammak wrote:
>    I posted a question in the StackExchange platform and put a bounty of
>    500 points to do just that. Please see this link below:
>
>    [1]https://emacs.stackexchange.com/q/60520/2443

I posted there with something that should hopefully get you started.  Feel free
to ask if you need more info.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments