all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs slowly displaying files
@ 2009-05-21 20:57 mzp
From: mzp @ 2009-05-21 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hello,
On Mac os x 10.5.7 with emacs 22.1.1
when I open a file with e.g. emacs -nw .cshrc it does not display the file
but comes with message "Welcome to Gnu Emacs ..." etc message. The file only
shows when I do C-l or without prompting after a minute or so. It's not a
big deal but a bit annoying.
What to do to have it show the file without extra prompts from the buffer?
Thanks,
Mark

* Re: emacs slowly displaying files
@ 2009-05-23 14:46 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-05-23 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

mzp <mzp3769@yahoo.com> writes:

Hi Mark,

> when I open a file with e.g. emacs -nw .cshrc it does not display the
> file but comes with message "Welcome to Gnu Emacs ..." etc
> message. The file only shows when I do C-l or without prompting after
> a minute or so. It's not a big deal but a bit annoying.

I think this will do the trick:

  (setq inhibit-startup-screen t)

> What to do to have it show the file without extra prompts from the
> buffer?

Generally I'd say the best way in using emacs is starting it as usual,
then firing up the server (M-x server-start) and then using "emacsclient
<file>" to open a file from a shell or file manager.

,----[ (info "(emacs)Emacs Server") ]
|    You can solve this problem by setting up Emacs as an "edit server",
| so that it "listens" for external edit requests and acts accordingly.
`----

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: emacs slowly displaying files
@ 2009-05-26 16:18   ` mzp
From: mzp @ 2009-05-26 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi Tasillo,
I put  (setq inhibit-startup-screen t) into .emacs but that does not help.
Thanks,
Mark

       [not found] <mailman.7606.1242964454.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-05-27 18:56 ` Colin S. Miller
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2009-05-27 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

mzp wrote:
> Hello,
> On Mac os x 10.5.7 with emacs 22.1.1
> when I open a file with e.g. emacs -nw .cshrc it does not display the file
> but comes with message "Welcome to Gnu Emacs ..." etc message. The file only
> shows when I do C-l or without prompting after a minute or so. It's not a
> big deal but a bit annoying.
> What to do to have it show the file without extra prompts from the buffer?
> Thanks,
> Mark

Does
emacs -no-init-file
help?

If so then there is something in your .emacs that is slowing emacs down.

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the hostname to reply.

* Re: emacs slowly displaying files
@ 2009-05-28 15:28   ` mzp
From: mzp @ 2009-05-28 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Ok, problem seems solved. I transferred my alias for emacs from other mac and
I had emacs set to  'emacs --no-site-file'. That slowed it down on this mac
(works ok on another that is 10.4.*). Why  -no-site-file slows it down is
hard to say?
Thanks for suggestions,
Mark

@ 2009-05-29  3:46     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2009-05-29  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

mzp wrote:
> Ok, problem seems solved. I transferred my alias for emacs from other mac and
> I had emacs set to  'emacs --no-site-file'. That slowed it down on this mac
> (works ok on another that is 10.4.*). Why  -no-site-file slows it down is
> hard to say?

`M-x find-library RET site-start RET' will show you the file that is
speeding emacs up.  :-)

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA