all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* two ways of adding a path to the list variable load-path. equivalent?
@ 2009-05-19 17:33 Nobuko Three
From: Nobuko Three @ 2009-05-19 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

1.
(setq load-path (cons "~/elisp/" load-path))

2.
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/")

Are there any situation where one would prefer one over another?

* Re: two ways of adding a path to the list variable load-path. equivalent?
@ 2009-05-19 18:17 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-05-19 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nobuko Three; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.05.2009 um 19:33 schrieb Nobuko Three:

> (setq load-path (cons "~/elisp/" load-path))
>
> 2.
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/")

The latter does *not* add the new element on top when this element
already exists somewhere in the list. So the latter form is preferable.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Hard Disk, n.:
	A device that allows users to delete vast quantities
	of data with simple mnemonic commands.

* Re: two ways of adding a path to the list variable load-path. equivalent?
@ 2009-05-20  8:48 ` Ralf Mattes
From: Ralf Mattes @ 2009-05-20  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 19 May 2009 10:33:09 -0700, Nobuko Three wrote:

> 1.
> (setq load-path (cons "~/elisp/" load-path))
>
> 2.
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/")
>
> Are there any situation where one would prefer one over another?

The setq way will always add a new value to the list while add-to-list
will only add a value iff it's not already present in the list.
Usually one wants to have have a path only once in the load-path.

 HTH Ralf Mattes

* Re: two ways of adding a path to the list variable load-path. equivalent?
@ 2009-05-20 12:50 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2009-05-20 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nobuko Three; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Nobuko Three <nbko3@yahoo.com> wrote:

> 1.
> (setq load-path (cons "~/elisp/" load-path))
>
> 2.
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/")
>
> Are there any situation where one would prefer one over another?

As you probably know from the documentation of add-to-list, it will test
whether the directory is already included before adding it another time.

The downside of add-to-list is, adding the path will be slightly slower (and
increasingly slower with the size of the list).  The downside of consing
is that duplicates might slow down loading a bit.

I'd suggest add-to-list, but the difference is negligible.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: two ways of adding a path to the list variable load-path. equivalent?
@ 2009-05-22  3:45   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2009-05-22  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 19.05.2009 um 19:33 schrieb Nobuko Three:
>
>> (setq load-path (cons "~/elisp/" load-path))
>>
>> 2.
>> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/")
>

> The latter does *not* add the new element on top when this element
> already exists somewhere in the list. So the latter form is preferable.

Unless the intent is to make sure the element is first in the list.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA