all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs frames and Compiz
@ 2009-05-16 13:21 Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2009-05-16 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello list

Has anybody solved this problem? When using compiz-fusion (I'm on
Debian, KDE, emacs-snapshot), new Emacs frames (M-x make-frame, or,
emacsclient -c) are not started correctly.

In fact, they do start as can be seen from 'ps ax | grep emacs' but the
frame seems to vanish somewhere in the Nirvana outside the scope of the
window-manager. No frame is to be seen, no icon is visible in the
task-manager, and the frame isn't accessable by Alt-TAB.

I found some hints to the problem via Google (eg.
http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?t=9279), but no solution.
A guy writes:

,----
| I *believe* it has something to do compiz's effort to take a
| larger-than-viewport window ad rezise its borders.
`----

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sven

--
Sven Bretfeld
      \ CEntrum für

* Re: Emacs frames and Compiz
@ 2009-05-17 15:13 ` Nobuko Three
From: Nobuko Three @ 2009-05-17 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Sven wrote:
> Has anybody solved this problem? When using compiz-fusion (I'm on
> Debian, KDE, emacs-snapshot), new Emacs frames (M-x make-frame, or,
> emacsclient -c) are not started correctly.

I had similar but different problem: I start emacs and emacs frame wouldn't
be found.

A solution to my probem was to open CCSM and have emacs windows to be
excluded from some rules. I think the same approach can solve your problem.

But I forgot exactly how to exclude emacs from what rules.

* Re: Emacs frames and Compiz
@ 2009-05-18 19:53 ` Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2009-05-18 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"Sven Bretfeld" <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

> Hello list
>
> Has anybody solved this problem? When using compiz-fusion (I'm on
> Debian, KDE, emacs-snapshot), new Emacs frames (M-x make-frame, or,
> emacsclient -c) are not started correctly.
>
> In fact, they do start as can be seen from 'ps ax | grep emacs' but the
> frame seems to vanish somewhere in the Nirvana outside the scope of the
> window-manager. No frame is to be seen, no icon is visible in the
> task-manager, and the frame isn't accessable by Alt-TAB.

Like this ?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/239917

Try to disable smart window placement in compiz to see if your frames
come back.

Hth,
--
Rémi

* Re: Emacs frames and Compiz
@ 2009-05-24 16:17   ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2009-05-24 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rémi Letot; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

hobbes@poukram.net (Rémi Letot) writes:

> Like this ?
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/239917

Exactly.

> Try to disable smart window placement in compiz to see if your frames
> come back.

Works! Thanks.

Greetings

Sven