all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* rmail
@ 2006-03-22 23:14 op132650c
From: op132650c @ 2006-03-22 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

How do i view attachments with rmail in emacs?

Thanks,
Pedro

* Re: rmail
       [not found] <mailman.8.1143069284.14014.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-04-10 17:24 ` Oliver Heidelbach
From: Oliver Heidelbach @ 2006-04-10 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

op132650c@mail.telepac.pt wrote:
> How do i view attachments with rmail in emacs?
>
> Thanks,
> Pedro

You will need to setup an external package since rmail
does not support attachments natively.

See for example
http://rulnick.com/etach/

or

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/RmailMime

Oliver

* Re: rmail
@ 2006-04-10 21:40   ` ken
From: ken @ 2006-04-10 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Oliver Heidelbach wrote:
> op132650c@mail.telepac.pt wrote:
>> How do i view attachments with rmail in emacs?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Pedro
>
> You will need to setup an external package since rmail
> does not support attachments natively.
>
> See for example
> http://rulnick.com/etach/
>
> or
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/RmailMime

I had good results with etach.el and-- I'll say it again-- I'm not at
all a genius.

:) :)
ken

PS.  Oh, goodie.  Another list ascared of reply-to.

--
"This world ain't big enough for the both of us,"
said the big noema to the little noema.

* Rmail
@ 2009-05-09 20:22 Marvin
From: Marvin @ 2009-05-09 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi there,

Does anybody know how to prevent rmail from downloading messages from
server ?

thanks

MMD

* Re: Rmail
@ 2009-05-11 13:59 ` hazlup
From: hazlup @ 2009-05-11 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I suspect you are using a POP connection, where you want to be using IMAP.
Can you share your connection strings like rmail-primary-inbox-list.

Marvin-19 wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Does anybody know how to prevent rmail from downloading messages from
> server ?
>

> thanks
>
> MMD

* rmail
@ 2014-08-15 10:28 visaris tds.net
From: visaris tds.net @ 2014-08-15 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: visaris tds.net

I now understand that my problems began with exim (my MTA)  Hopefully the
exim related problems have been sorted.

It seems my movemail problems have likewise subsided.

M-x rmail now fectches mail from the mailbox /var/spool/mail/visaris which
exim maintains (I don't have to push bits around myself anylonger),
however...

Instead of simply showing me my messages, emacs evidently executes them in
the sense that something automagicly causes a new buffer to appear which
seems to be a reply-to-message buffer with To and From fields filled in
(and I get beeps from the PC speaker).

The above happens only with some messages, which leads me to believe that
something about a particular message causes code to be executed.

Is this a "feature"?  How do I tell emacs that it please should refrain
from automagicly executing code on behalf of email messages!!!

* Re: rmail
@ 2014-08-15 10:43 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-08-15 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 06:28:48 -0400
> From: "visaris tds.net" <visaris@tds.net>
> Cc: "visaris tds.net" <visaris@tds.net>
>
> M-x rmail now fectches mail from the mailbox /var/spool/mail/visaris which
> exim maintains (I don't have to push bits around myself anylonger),
> however...
>
> Instead of simply showing me my messages, emacs evidently executes them in
> the sense that something automagicly causes a new buffer to appear which
> seems to be a reply-to-message buffer with To and From fields filled in
> (and I get beeps from the PC speaker).
>
> The above happens only with some messages, which leads me to believe that
> something about a particular message causes code to be executed.
>
> Is this a "feature"?  How do I tell emacs that it please should refrain
> from automagicly executing code on behalf of email messages!!!

Emacs doesn't have such a "feature".

Does this happen in "emacs -Q"?  If not, look in your ~/.emacs for
something that causes this.

If this does happen in "emacs -Q", please submit a bug report with a
minimal mbox file (that's the file that movemail fetches from
/var/spool/mail/visaris) that can be used to reproduce the problem.

* Re: rmail
@ 2014-08-15 14:06 ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2014-08-15 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: visaris tds.net; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, visaris

"visaris tds.net" <visaris@tds.net> writes:

> I now understand that my problems began with exim (my MTA)  Hopefully the
> exim related problems have been sorted.
>
> It seems my movemail problems have likewise subsided.
>
> M-x rmail now fectches mail from the mailbox /var/spool/mail/visaris which
> exim maintains (I don't have to push bits around myself anylonger),
> however...

It's best to do it that way.  Your old way was clever, but taking stuff
from the input queue probably won't be reliable long-term.  Future Exim
versions might change the input queue format.

> Instead of simply showing me my messages, emacs evidently executes them in
> the sense that something automagicly causes a new buffer to appear which
> seems to be a reply-to-message buffer with To and From fields filled in
> (and I get beeps from the PC speaker).
>
> The above happens only with some messages, which leads me to believe that
> something about a particular message causes code to be executed.
>
> Is this a "feature"?  How do I tell emacs that it please should refrain
> from automagicly executing code on behalf of email messages!!!

Rmail has never done that to me.  Like Eli said I think it's likely to
be something in your init file doing it.  Do you have any bits of code
that are from keyboard macros?  I.e. code from insert-kbd-macro?  It can
do that kind of thing.

BR,
Robert Thorpe

* rmail
@ 2015-02-27 11:29 h.peter.friedrich
From: h.peter.friedrich @ 2015-02-27 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

hello,
I use rmail with the above email-address, but I want to leave this
provider.
My favorite possible new provider uses the email-address as loginname.
But rmail cannot handle the "@ " inside the name.
I found in the emacswiki that this is a known problem.
Is it solved in the meantime and how can I solve it ?
greetings from Europe.
peter

* Re: rmail
@ 2015-02-27 22:16 ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2015-02-27 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: not-real; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"h.peter.friedrich" <not-real@arcor.de> writes:

> hello,
> I use rmail with the above email-address, but I want to leave this
> provider.
> My favorite possible new provider uses the email-address as loginname.
> But rmail cannot handle the "@ " inside the name.
> I found in the emacswiki that this is a known problem.
> Is it solved in the meantime and how can I solve it ?

This is how I do it:
* Fix your email address.
In rmail-primary-inbox-list specify your email address replacing @ with
%40 like this: you%40server.com.

* Use Mailutils Movemail.
It's usually available from a package manager.  I don't know if this is
necessary, but it's how I did it.

* Copy.
Copy the function rmail-insert-inbox-text from rmail.el.  After you've
fixed it save off this new version of rmail-insert-inbox-text and load
it in your init file.

* Find the bit that says:
      ;; At this point, TOFILE contains the name to read:
      ;; Either the alternate name (if we renamed)
      ;; or the actual inbox (if not renaming).

* Add the fix.
After the comment put in the line:
      (setq tofile (url-unhex-string tofile))
The line after that should be (if (file-exists-p tofile).

Here's why that works....  Movemail's command-line has the server
address after the email address.  It's like this "movemail
you@imap.server.com".  So, if your email address has an @ in it then it
becomes "movemail you@server.com@imap.server.com" which is nonsense.
The movemail people are aware of this problem, so they support using URL
encoding in addresses.  So, you can use %40 instead of @ for the first
one, just like in a URL.  Emacs doesn't know about any of this.  The
problem is that they decode it when creating the mbox filename.  So,
Emacs is expecting an mbox file called you%40server.com but it gets one
called you@server.com.  The line of code added removes that confusion.

When I get the time I'll contribute it to Emacs.  I don't think it's the
right way to totally fix the problem though.

BR,
Robert Thorpe

* Re: rmail
@ 2015-03-04 12:25   ` h.peter.friedrich
From: h.peter.friedrich @ 2015-03-04 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Thorpe; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

hi robert,

thank you so much for your detailed answer.
In the meantime I use claws-mail.
But I will give your hints a try as soon as possible though I never
learned programming but managed to find out some issues in the past.

With greetings from Germany.

Peter