all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* planner & muse mode questions
@ 2009-04-18  8:48 ulugeyik
From: ulugeyik @ 2009-04-18  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I am not being lucky getting answers to any of my questions and it is bugging
me regarding my work-flow.

I have tried this on the corresponding mailing lists but they are pretty
quiet these days.

I am new to the PlannerMode and I have few questions.

1 - Searching: planner-search-notes seem to search on day-pages and not
plan pages. It also does not follow links. I was hoping that it could act
as a search for all the "remember" and other information I enter in my
pages and follow links to local files too. i tried muse-search but that
also only searches files under the same directory for the "project". Is
there an alternative to that? Ideally, I want it to search all files
linked to the project from any place.

2- Some of my plan pages are under subdirectories. When I use remember, it
does not let me write out the note to the files in the subdirectories -
they are not tab-completed. somehow, from the manual, I thought this might
do that, but obviously associating "emacs-wiki" with planner/muse may be
wrong? I added the folllowing to my .emacs file:
;;hopefully this let's planner to go down in the directory tree
(setq emacs-wiki-recurse-directories t)

3- This may be more of muse question but wqhen
I do a "pdf export" it does a single LaTeX run therefore the links are
broken. How do I get it to do multiple runs or "run as many as
necessary"?
4- Can I add colors for output? is there a <color> tag?

5- When I output a muse-journal, it likes to display earliest entries
first. I
want to reverse that. I want the newest ones on top. Is that possible?

6- Is there a way to generate an output , possibly a graphical one (may be
with
graphviz?) that would show which file is linked to what file etc?

7- I followed a tip from a web-site so I can hit a key-combination
anywhere in GNOME and run a small window in remember-mode to take a note.
so I added the following to my .emacs .. The tip gave it for "org-mode" so
I edited it (see below lines marked ";TD"). It works, I can now add my
note to plan page. but it only works if emacs-server is already running.
is there an alternative to that? Am  doing the right thing?

;;http://metajack.im/2008/12/30/gtd-capture-with-emacs-orgmode/
;; to have a small remember window open from anywhere
(defadvice remember-finalize (after delete-remember-frame activate)
  "Advise remember-finalize to close the frame if it is the remember
frame"
  (if (equal "remember" (frame-parameter nil 'name))
      (delete-frame)))

(defadvice remember-destroy (after delete-remember-frame activate)
  "Advise remember-destroy to close the frame if it is the rememeber
frame"
  (if (equal "remember" (frame-parameter nil 'name))
      (delete-frame)))
;; make the frame contain a single window. by default org-remember
;; splits the window.
(add-hook 'remember-mode-hook
          'delete-other-windows)

(defun make-remember-frame ()
  "Create a new frame and run org-remember."
  (interactive)
  (make-frame '((name . "remember") (width . 80) (height . 10)))
  (select-frame-by-name "remember")
;;TD next line by TD
  (planner-goto-today)
;;TD next line by TDD
  (remember 'remember-planner-add-xref))
;; TD original was this
;;  (org-remember))

8- I use multiple computers (~4) with slightly different directory
structures. I keep my latest working notes, important stuff in a common
*relative* path (upto a degree). Is it possible to get annotations,
auto-links etc use relative paths instead of absolute? I mean, if I
remember something while working on a document and I add the note to the
day-page, I want the link the original document to be relative. I tried
the following but that did not do the job

;;use relative paths
(setq planner-annotation-use-relative-file t)
9- What is the common choice for Palm-Pilot and/or Evolution
syncronization. It seems like one way is to load up the .ics from
evolution (which I only use for palm-syncing) and importat that to
planner-diary. but what happens if I change something on my palm?

10-  When I link to a pdf file, [[mypdf.pdf]] ,  when I follow the link I
end up opening the pdf as a text file. I was hoping it will use mailcap or
some such to run a pdf viewer. Can I control this somehow?

Thanks a lot for your time and help.

Turgut

* Re: planner & muse mode questions
@ 2009-04-18 18:49 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-04-18 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2009-04-18 09:48 +0100, ulugeyik wrote:
> I am not being lucky getting answers to any of my questions and it is
> bugging me regarding my work-flow.
>
> I have tried this on the corresponding mailing lists but they are
> pretty quiet these days.

I can recommend you org mode, a superior package to planner. Go to
orgmode.org and find out more about it. Its mailing list is heavier than
emacs-devel, so your questions will be answered by quite a few people
and in a prompt manner. You may start with an article written by
planner's author.

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .: I use Emacs :.

               www.git-scm.com
    git - the one true version control system

* Re: planner & muse mode questions
@ 2009-04-19 16:49   ` ulugeyik
From: ulugeyik @ 2009-04-19 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

leon-9 wrote:

> On 2009-04-18 09:48 +0100, ulugeyik wrote:
>> I am not being lucky getting answers to any of my questions and it is
>> bugging me regarding my work-flow.
>>
>> I have tried this on the corresponding mailing lists but they are
>> pretty quiet these days.
>
> I can recommend you org mode, a superior package to planner. Go to
> orgmode.org and find out more about it. Its mailing list is heavier than
> emacs-devel, so your questions will be answered by quite a few people
> and in a prompt manner. You may start with an article written by
> planner's author.

Does the orgmode also supercede the muse mode too? I like the muse mode
notation and publishing capabilities , orgmode appears to be lacking that.
That was my main reason why I picked planner mode.

* Re: planner & muse mode questions
@ 2009-04-19 22:28     ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2009-04-19 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ulugeyik <durduran@hotmail.com> writes:

> Does the orgmode also supercede the muse mode too?

No.

> I like the muse mode notation and publishing capabilities , orgmode
> appears to be lacking that.

Take a look at org-mtags.el in the contrib subdirectory of the org-mode
source. It will allow ypu to use a lot of muse syntax in org-mode. You
can use muse to publish the file.

Charles

--
"Nature abhors a Vacuum"

  -- Brian Behlendorf on OSS (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 196 bytes --]

* Re: planner & muse mode questions
@ 2009-04-20  4:30       ` Wei Chang
From: Wei Chang @ 2009-04-20  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How to setup and use org-mtags.el ?

Thanks.

@ 2009-04-20  5:29         ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2009-04-20  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Wei Chang <changwei.cn@gmail.com> writes:

> How to setup and use org-mtags.el ?

This is from the el file:

,----
| ;;; Commentary:                                                                   |
| ;;                                                                                |
| ;; This modules implements some of the formatting tags available in               |
| ;; Emacs Muse.  This is not a way if adding new functionality, but just           |
| ;; a different way to write some formatting directives.  The advantage is         |
| ;; that files written in this way can be read by Muse reasonably well,            |
| ;; and that this provides an alternative way of writing formatting                |
| ;; directives in Org, a way that some might find more pleasant to type            |
| ;; and look at that the Org's #+BEGIN..#+END notation.                            |
|                                                                                   |
| ;; The goal of this development is to make it easier for people to                |
| ;; move between both worlds as they see fit for different tasks.                  |
|                                                                                   |
| ;; The following muse tags will be translated during export into their            |
| ;; native Org equivalents:                                                        |
| ;;                                                                                |
| ;;   <br>                                                                         |
| ;;        Needs to be at the end of a line.  Will be translated to "\\".          |
| ;;                                                                                |
| ;;   <example>                                                                    |
| ;;        Needs to be on a line by itself, similarly the </example> tag.          |
| ;;        Will be translated into Org's #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE construct.                |
| ;;                                                                                |
| ;;   <quote>                                                                      |
| ;;        Needs to be on a line by itself, similarly the </quote> tag.            |
| ;;        Will be translated into Org's #+BEGIN_QUOTE construct.                  |
| ;;                                                                                |
| ;;                                                                                |
| ;;   <comment>                                                                    |
| ;;        Needs to be on a line by itself, similarly the </comment> tag.          |
| ;;        Will be translated into Org's #+BEGIN_COMMENT construct.                |
| ;;                                                                                |
| ;;   <verse>                                                                      |
| ;;        Needs to be on a line by itself, similarly the </verse> tag.            |
| ;;        Will be translated into Org's #+BEGIN_VERSE construct.                  |
| ;;                                                                                |
| ;;   <contents>                                                                   |
| ;;        This gets translated into "[TABLE-OF-CONTENTS]".  It will not           |
| ;;        trigger the production of a table of contents - that is done            |
| ;;        in Org with the "#+OPTIONS: toc:t" setting.  But it will define         |
| ;;        the location where the TOC will be placed.                              |
| ;;                                                                                |
| ;;   <literal style="STYLE">    ;; only latex and html supported in Org           |
| ;;        Needs to be on a line by itself, similarly the </literal> tag.          |
| ;;                                                                                |
| ;;   <src lang="LANG">                                                            |
| ;;        Needs to be on a line by itself, similarly the </src> tag.              |
| ;;        Will be translated into Org's BEGIN_SRC construct.                      |
| ;;                                                                                |
| ;;   <include file="FILE" markup="MARKUP" lang="LANG" prefix="str" prefix1="str"> |
| ;;        Needs to be on a line by itself.                                        |
| ;;        Will be translated into Org's #+INCLUDE construct.                      |
| ;;                                                                                |
| ;; The lisp/perl/ruby/python tags can be implemented using the                    |
| ;; `org-eval.el' module, which see.                                               |
`----

Charles

--
    if (argc > 1 && strcmp(argv[1], "-advice") == 0) {
	printf("Don't Panic!\n");

--
>Ever heard of .cshrc?
That's a city in Bosnia.  Right?
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc on the intuitiveness of commands.)

@ 2009-04-20  7:01           ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2009-04-20  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I forgot to add. You need to put:

,----
| (require 'org-mtags)
`----

to your .emacs to get it working.

To publish the file with muse, use:

,----
| M-x muse-publish-this-file
`----

Charles

--
"However, complexity is not always the enemy."

  -- Larry Wall (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)

@ 2009-04-28 12:08       ` ulugeyik
From: ulugeyik @ 2009-04-28 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Charles philip Chan wrote:

> ulugeyik <durduran@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> I like the muse mode notation and publishing capabilities , orgmode
>> appears to be lacking that.
>
> Take a look at org-mtags.el in the contrib subdirectory of the org-mode
> source. It will allow ypu to use a lot of muse syntax in org-mode. You
> can use muse to publish the file.
>
> Charles

Thanks, that sounds interesting. I am going to learn both and report back if
I still have issues.