all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* vc-annotate: vc-annotate-prev-revision does not work for renamed/moved files (Git/HG)
@ 2022-03-20  7:47 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-03-20  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi

In some repositories I mv or rename files quite a bit, while vc-annotate
works fine for files that has not be moved or renamed, the same does not
hold for renamed files, in particular, vc-annotate-prev-revision fails.

Here are two short scripts to emphasise my point

First GIT:

git init
echo "First" > test.org
git add -A test.org
git commit -a -m "First"
echo "Second" >> test.org
git commit -a -m "Second"
echo "Third" >> test.org
git commit  -a -m "Third"
echo "Forth" >> test.org
git commit  -a -m "Forth"
mv test.org testnew.org
git add -A
git commit  -a -m "Renamed file test.org to testnew.org"

Then HG
hg init
echo "First" > test.org
hg add test.org
hg commit  -m "First"
echo "Second" >> test.org
hg commit  -m "Second"
echo "Third" >> test.org
hg commit  -m "Third"
echo "Forth" >> test.org
hg commit  -m "Forth"
hg mv test.org testnew.org
hg commit  -m "Renamed file test.org to testnew.org"

In both cases vc-annotate-prev-revision fails in the file testnew.org

Any change to get such a feature be implemented?

Thanks and regards

Uwe Brauer

--
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the ban of Russia from SWIFT.

* Re: vc-annotate: vc-annotate-prev-revision does not work for renamed/moved files (Git/HG)
@ 2022-03-20 11:47 ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2022-03-20 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 20.03.2022 09:47, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Hi
>
> In some repositories I mv or rename files quite a bit, while vc-annotate
> works fine for files that has not be moved or renamed, the same does not
> hold for renamed files, in particular, vc-annotate-prev-revision fails.
>
> Here are two short scripts to emphasise my point
>
> First GIT:
>
> git init
> echo "First" > test.org
> git add -A test.org
> git commit -a -m "First"
> echo "Second" >> test.org
> git commit -a -m "Second"
> echo "Third" >> test.org
> git commit  -a -m "Third"
> echo "Forth" >> test.org
> git commit  -a -m "Forth"
> mv test.org testnew.org
> git add -A
> git commit  -a -m "Renamed file test.org to testnew.org"
>
> Then HG
> hg init
> echo "First" > test.org
> hg add test.org
> hg commit  -m "First"
> echo "Second" >> test.org
> hg commit  -m "Second"
> echo "Third" >> test.org
> hg commit  -m "Third"
> echo "Forth" >> test.org
> hg commit  -m "Forth"
> hg mv test.org testnew.org
> hg commit  -m "Renamed file test.org to testnew.org"
>

> In both cases vc-annotate-prev-revision fails in the file testnew.org
>
> Any change to get such a feature be implemented?

Sounds like bug#26345.

* Re: vc-annotate: vc-annotate-prev-revision does not work for renamed/moved files (Git/HG)
@ 2022-03-20 16:54   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-03-20 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> On 20.03.2022 09:47, Uwe Brauer wrote:

> Sounds like bug#26345.

So the patch you provided did not solve this problem?

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: vc-annotate: vc-annotate-prev-revision does not work for renamed/moved files (Git/HG)
@ 2022-03-20 19:04     ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2022-03-20 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 20.03.2022 18:54, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> So the patch you provided did not solve this problem?

Quoting myself:

   I've pushed that patch now. Keeping this bug open because it doesn't
   fix the main scenario.