all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs help
@ 2002-10-07 22:26 In Hur
From: In Hur @ 2002-10-07 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, I used to use emacs before in my Windows 2000 as java text
editor/compiler.
It worked fine. Now I got WindowsXP and I tried to install emacs, but it
gives me error "Error in init file: File error: "Cannot open load file",
"jde"
I am using emacs 20.7.1
I set the home = c:\emacs, path = c:\jdk1.3\bin, in my system environment.
Can you please help me get this to work? thank you.

* Re: emacs help
       [not found] <mailman.1034029629.16859.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-10-08  9:31 ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2002-10-08  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 07 Oct 2002 18:26:09 -0400, "In Hur" <inhur@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi, I used to use emacs before in my Windows 2000 as java text
>editor/compiler.
>It worked fine. Now I got WindowsXP and I tried to install emacs, but it
>gives me error "Error in init file: File error: "Cannot open load file",
>"jde"
>I am using emacs 20.7.1
>I set the home = c:\emacs, path = c:\jdk1.3\bin, in my system environment.
>Can you please help me get this to work? thank you.

Have you installed JDE on your system? JDE is an emacs add-on that's
nothing to do with Sun's JDK.

* Emacs help
@ 2006-01-12 20:05 McDonald, Charles I
From: McDonald, Charles I @ 2006-01-12 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

What is the command for clearing a rectangular region in a text file?
thanks
Charlie

* Re: Emacs help
       [not found] <mailman.873.1137103907.26925.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-01-12 22:23 ` martin
From: martin @ 2006-01-12 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

"MC" == McDonald, Charles <cimcdonald@bsu.edu> writes:
 MC> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
 MC> Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:05:06 -0500
 MC> To: <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
 MC>
 MC> What is the command for clearing a rectangular region in a text file?
 MC> thanks
 MC> Charlie

Hi,

look at the result of M-x apropos-command RET rectangle RET

Martin
--
parozusa at web dot de

@ 2006-01-12 22:44 ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2006-01-12 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:05:06 -0500, "McDonald, Charles I" <cimcdonald@bsu.edu> wrote:
> What is the command for clearing a rectangular region in a text file?

C-x r c

Search the manual for 'rectangle mode', for more commands :)

* Emacs help
@ 2009-03-10 18:38 fi_fi08
From: fi_fi08 @ 2009-03-10 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

In Emacs 22 I cannot compile my java files.  When I compile the minibuffer
reads:
Compile command: make -k
I hit enter and the compilation buffer reads:
-*- mode: compilation; default-directory: "~/" -*-
Compilation started at Tue Mar 10 13:31:16

make -k
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

Compilation exited abnormally with code 2 at Tue Mar 10 13:3
If I erase the "make -k" out of the minibuffer and hit enter the compilation
buffer reads:
-*- mode: compilation; default-directory: "~/" -*-
Compilation started at Tue Mar 10 13:32:52

Compilation finished at Tue Mar 10 13:32:52
It seems that the program code has been compiled but no file with .class
following is created.  I cannot run my program either after creating an html
file and use "appletviewer foo.html &" in the terminal window after I try to
run this using the terminal window the terminal window writes:
jfiala@Justin-PC:~$ load: class homework.class not found.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: homework.class
	at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(AppletClassLoader.java:201)
	at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(AppletClassLoader.java:145)
	at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(AppletClassLoader.java:644)
	at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(AppletPanel.java:798)
	at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(AppletPanel.java:727)
	at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:380)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /home/jfiala/homework/class.class
(No such file or directory)
	at
sun.net.www.protocol.file.FileURLConnection.connect(FileURLConnection.java:87)
	at
sun.net.www.protocol.file.FileURLConnection.getInputStream(FileURLConnection.java:178)
	at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.getBytes(AppletClassLoader.java:313)
	at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.access$100(AppletClassLoader.java:62)
	at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader$1.run(AppletClassLoader.java:191)
	at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(AppletClassLoader.java:188)
	... 8 more

and the applet doesn't run.  I know that this is pry a simple problem but
how can I fix it so that when I use the compile command the java file is
automatically compiled and it creates a .class file? Any help would be
greatly appreciated as I need this for a course that I am currently taking.

* Re: Emacs help
@ 2009-03-11  9:30 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-11  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fi_fi08; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 10.03.2009 um 19:38 schrieb fi_fi08:

> make -k
> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

The default compile command is "make -k." It needs a Makefile,
otherwise make wouldn't know what to make. So overwrite the "prompt"
in mini-buffer and substitute it with another compile command.

You can also customise the variable compile-command to set a
different default for you ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Only useless documentation transcends the first two laws.
				– Arnold's Third Law of Documentation