all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Trunk 24.3.50 (on OSX): multilingual invisibility
@ 2012-11-18 19:54 Rembrandt Wolpert
From: Rembrandt Wolpert @ 2012-11-18 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Trunk 24.3.50 (on OSX): multilingual invisibility
@ 2012-11-18 20:20 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.13276.1353270057.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-11-18 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rembrandt Wolpert; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.11.2012 um 20:54 schrieb Rembrandt Wolpert:

> The latest versions of GNU Emacs 24.3, both self-compiled or
> downloaded from "nightlies" (http://emacsformacosx.com/builds),  do
> not display non-western glyphs (e.g. in "Show Multilingual Sample
> Text") (on OSX 10.7.5 in any case). Is this my fault, a bad new
> feature, or what should I do?

What is this "Show Multilingual Sample Text"? Is it the HELLO buffer from C-h H? On Mac OS X 10.6.8, Snow Leopard, at least the X client variant still works. I'll to build the NS variant and see whether C-h H works there!

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

"Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have 'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM."

@ 2012-11-18 20:33   ` Rembrandt Wolpert
From: Rembrandt Wolpert @ 2012-11-18 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 11/18/12 2:20 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 18.11.2012 um 20:54 schrieb Rembrandt Wolpert:
>
>> The latest versions of GNU Emacs 24.3, both self-compiled or
>> downloaded from "nightlies" (http://emacsformacosx.com/builds),  do
>> not display non-western glyphs (e.g. in "Show Multilingual Sample
>> Text") (on OSX 10.7.5 in any case). Is this my fault, a bad new
>> feature, or what should I do?
>
> What is this "Show Multilingual Sample Text"? Is it the HELLO buffer from C-h H? On Mac OS X 10.6.8, Snow Leopard, at least the X client variant still works. I'll to build the NS variant and see whether C-h H works there!

Options -> Multilingual Environment -> Show Multilingual Sample Text
(<f1> h)

> --
> Mit friedvollen Grüßen
>
>   Pete
>
> "Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have 'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM."

My last 24.3.50 version (built 2012-11-06) (still) showed on screen
Chinese characters I  inserted in my multiscript texts (to be used in
xelatex). Now (2012-11-18) I get the western scripts (including German
Umlaut etc.) fine, but for the East Asian scripts only emptiness to see.
This is on OSX 10.7.5. It's useful to see what you type :-).

Best,
Rembrandt

--
人生䘮亂世無君欲誰仕
 - 劉因 (1249-1293)

@ 2012-11-18 20:46 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.13278.1353271620.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-11-18 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rembrandt Wolpert; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.11.2012 um 20:54 schrieb Rembrandt Wolpert:

> The latest versions of GNU Emacs 24.3, both self-compiled or
> downloaded from "nightlies" (http://emacsformacosx.com/builds),  do
> not display non-western glyphs (e.g. in "Show Multilingual Sample
> Text") (on OSX 10.7.5 in any case).

Yes, with the exception of Georgian, Arabic, and Hebrew the samples in Asian scripts are not displayed. The version from one week ago has the same bug. The NS variant from five weeks ago, version 24.2.50 then, works OK.

>  Is this my fault, a bad new feature, or what should I do?

You can read the Emacs News (C-h n or from the Help menu). If it's advertised there, then the behaviour is OK. If not, then create a bug report with the keyword "enhancement" in the subject. In the Help menu you have an entry to report an Emacs bug. Do you want to do it yourself – or do you think I think I should report one more? I might be able to do so in an hour or two… (earlier bug report in TeX Live)

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

A morning without coffee is like something without something else.

@ 2012-11-18 23:19   ` Rembrandt Wolpert
From: Rembrandt Wolpert @ 2012-11-18 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 11/18/12 2:46 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 18.11.2012 um 20:54 schrieb Rembrandt Wolpert:
>
>> The latest versions of GNU Emacs 24.3, both self-compiled or
>> downloaded from "nightlies" (http://emacsformacosx.com/builds),
>> do not display non-western glyphs (e.g. in "Show Multilingual
>> Sample Text") (on OSX 10.7.5 in any case).
>
> Yes, with the exception of Georgian, Arabic, and Hebrew the samples
> in Asian scripts are not displayed. The version from one week ago
> has the same bug. The NS variant from five weeks ago, version
> 24.2.50 then, works OK.
>
>> Is this my fault, a bad new feature, or what should I do?
>
> You can read the Emacs News (C-h n or from the Help menu). If it's
> advertised there, then the behaviour is OK. If not, then create a
> bug report with the keyword "enhancement" in the subject. In the
> Help menu you have an entry to report an Emacs bug. Do you want to
> do it yourself – or do you think I think I should report one more?
> I might be able to do so in an hour or two… (earlier bug report in
> TeX Live)
>
> -- Mit friedvollen Grüßen
>
> Pete
>
> A morning without coffee is like something without something else.

I reported a bug.

Many thanks,
Rembrandt

--