all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Robert Marshall <robert@capuchin.co.uk>
To: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
Cc: 21110@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#21110: 25.0.50; Images viewed with Image[Imagemagick] mode are garbled
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 11:01:20 +0100	[thread overview]

Eli Zaretskii writes:
 > > Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 16:48:55 +0100
 > > From: Robert Marshall <robert@capuchin.co.uk>
 > > Cc: 21110@debbugs.gnu.org
 > >
 > > Eli Zaretskii writes:
 > >  > > From: Robert Marshall <robert@capuchin.co.uk>
 > >  > > Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 11:31:35 +0100
 > >  > >
 > >  > > I ran emacs -Q imagefile.png
 > >  > > and on viewing the buffer it consists of garbage which appears to be
 > >  > > assembled from parts of the X display (if required I can produce a screenshot)
 > >  > >
 > >  > > Same problem is apparent with jpg and gifs.
 > >  >
 > >  > Does the problem go away if you configure without Cairo?
 > >
 > > I'll do a rebuild without Cairo tomorrow
 >
 > Thanks.

I can confirm that building without Cairo stops the corruption

 > >  > Does the problem exist if you view images through TIFF/JPEG/GIF
 > >  > etc. libraries, not through Imagemagick?
 > >  >
 > > How do I do that?
 >
 > Use "M-x customize-variable RET" to disable all Imagemagick types.

I tried this and disabled png support in imagemagick-enabled-types but
still when I load a png the mode is reported as

'Image[imagemagick] mode defined in ‘image-mode.el’'

which I assume means that it's still using imagemagick?
And pre the removing cairo change the png files still loaded with
garbled images

(extract from custom-set-variables)
'(imagemagick-enabled-types
   (quote
    (3FR ART ARW AVS BMP BMP2 BMP3 CAL CALS CMYK CMYKA CR2 CRW CUR CUT DCM DCR DCX DDS DJVU DNG DPX EXR FAX FITS GBR GIF GIF87 GRB HRZ ICB ICO ICON J2C JNG JP2 JPC JPEG JPG JPX K25 KDC MIFF MNG MRW MSL MSVG MTV NEF ORF OTB PBM PCD PCDS PCL PCT PCX PDB PEF PGM PICT PIX PJPEG PNM PPM PSD PTIF PWP RAF RAS RBG RGB RGBA RGBO RLA RLE SCR SCT SFW SGI SR2 SRF SUN SVG SVGZ TGA TIFF TIFF64 TILE TIM TTF UYVY VDA VICAR VID VIFF VST WBMP WPG X3F XBM XC XCF XPM XV XWD YCbCr YCbCrA YUV)))

 > Btw, please do send a screenshot with the corrupted images, maybe
 > seeing it will give more ideas.

Emailed yesterday

Robert