all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* no colors in emacs
@ 2005-10-27  0:33 rickyars
From: rickyars @ 2005-10-27  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

i'm using mac os x 10.4, using the mac terminal app to ssh -Y into a
linus machine.  when i get there and run emacs -nw i get no colors.
how do i get emacs to appear in color (e.g. syntax highlighting while
writing c++).

thanks,

-ricky

* no colors in emacs
@ 2005-10-27  0:36 rickyars
From: rickyars @ 2005-10-27  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

i'm using mac os x 10.4 and the mac terminal app to ssh -Y into a linux
machine.  when i get there and run emacs -nw i get no colors.  how do i
get emacs to appear in color (e.g. syntax highlighting while writing
c++)?

thanks,

-ricky

* Re: no colors in emacs
@ 2005-10-27  0:38 ` Cameron Desautels
       [not found] ` <mailman.12848.1130373529.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Cameron Desautels @ 2005-10-27  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 05:33:38PM -0700, rickyars@gmail.com wrote:
> i'm using mac os x 10.4, using the mac terminal app to ssh -Y into a
> linus machine.  when i get there and run emacs -nw i get no colors.
> how do i get emacs to appear in color (e.g. syntax highlighting while
> writing c++).

M-x global-font-lock-mode
--
Cam Desautels <cam@apt2324.com>

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny
individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities."
      --Ayn Rand

* Re: no colors in emacs
       [not found] ` <mailman.12848.1130373529.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-10-27  6:43   ` anita
From: anita @ 2005-10-27  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using a windows XP machine where Xemacs was installed.
After a recent crash, I see no colours (eg syntax highlighting)
on texts that I open with Xemacs. What can I do, short
of reinstallation, to restore the colours? Anita
Cameron Desautels wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 05:33:38PM -0700, rickyars@gmail.com wrote:
> > i'm using mac os x 10.4, using the mac terminal app to ssh -Y into a
> > linus machine.  when i get there and run emacs -nw i get no colors.
> > how do i get emacs to appear in color (e.g. syntax highlighting while
> > writing c++).
>
> M-x global-font-lock-mode
> --
> Cam Desautels <cam@apt2324.com>
>

> "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny
> individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities."
>       --Ayn Rand

* Re: no colors in emacs
       [not found] ` <mailman.12848.1130373529.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-10-27 10:07 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-10-27 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 27.10.2005 um 02:33 schrieb rickyars@gmail.com:

> when i get there and run emacs -nw i get no colors

What is the value of TERM on the remote site? Some terminals don't have
colour. And since Emacs is running on that remote site it needs to have
there a .emacs file too that switches on colours, i.e. font-lock-mode.

--
Greetings

   Pete

$ sumascii BILL GATES
   B   I   L   L   G   A   T   E   S
  66+ 73+ 76+ 76+ 71+ 65+ 84+ 69+ 83 = 663

  and add 3 because he's Bill Gates the third.

* Re: no colors in emacs
@ 2005-10-28  3:33     ` anita
From: anita @ 2005-10-28  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I tried to do M-x global-font-lock-mode and got (No match). I feel that
part of the
configuration file may have been deleted during the crash. What can I
do to restore
the config file so I can get the colours back?

* Re: no colors in emacs
@ 2005-10-28  8:12       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-10-28  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 28.10.2005 um 05:33 schrieb anita:

> I tried to do M-x global-font-lock-mode and got (No match).

Here is what I use in .emacs:

(cond ((fboundp 'global-font-lock-mode)
    ;; Turn on font-lock in all modes that support it
    (setq global-font-lock-mode t)
;   (setq jit-lock-mode t)
    ;; Maximum colors
    (setq font-lock-maximum-decoration t)))

>  I feel that
> part of the
> configuration file may have been deleted during the crash. What can I
> do to restore
> the config file so I can get the colours back?

Restore the file(s) from a recent backup.

--
Greetings

   Pete     === -Q