Ed, That is excellent! I tried it out and decided I won't bet against you. I can use C-s and C-r to zip around my document pretty quick that way. Never thought to use "search" for navigation. Pete, I edit text files on my home OS X machine over SSH while I'm traveling (often visiting family). I like to use Terminal because I don't need any software installed on whoever's machine I'm using. Scott -- Sent from the Emacs - Help forum at Nabble.com: http://www.nabble.com/How-can-I-move-my-cursor-80-characters-with-a-key-binding--t803190.html#a2092178