all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Installing matlab mode under  Windows XP
@ 2006-11-20 14:20 schnurpfelkamel
From: schnurpfelkamel @ 2006-11-20 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I would like to install other packages like Matlab mode for emacs
on Windows XP. Where do I have to put these additional package files?
Is there something like the .emacs file under UNIX that tells emacs
to load these packages? Or in other words: What do I need to do, to
make emacs load the additional package files?

Thanks for your help.
Regards
Pascal

* Re: Installing matlab mode under  Windows XP
@ 2006-11-20 20:42 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-11-20 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:20:48 +0000 (GMT)
> From: "schnurpfelkamel@bluewin.ch" <schnurpfelkamel@bluewin.ch>
>
> I would like to install other packages like Matlab mode for emacs
> on Windows XP. Where do I have to put these additional package files?

Yes, the place to put them is in your site-lisp subdirectory of the
main Emacs installation directory.

> Is there something like the .emacs file under UNIX that tells emacs
> to load these packages?

Yes, it's called -- ta-da! -- .emacs.  Just type "C-x C-f ~/.emacs
RET", and you will be looking at it (if you didn;t have it, Emacs will
say "New file").

> Or in other words: What do I need to do, to make emacs load the
> additional package files?

The same as on Unix.

* Re: Installing matlab mode under  Windows XP
@ 2006-11-20 20:50 ` Perry Smith
       [not found]   ` <mailman.953.1164127222.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Perry Smith @ 2006-11-20 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 20, 2006, at 8:20 AM, schnurpfelkamel@bluewin.ch wrote:

> Hi
>
> I would like to install other packages like Matlab mode for emacs
> on Windows XP. Where do I have to put these additional package files?
> Is there something like the .emacs file under UNIX that tells emacs
> to load these packages? Or in other words: What do I need to do, to
> make emacs load the additional package files?

First, there an emacs variable called load-path.  It is a list of
directories emacs searches when a load is done.  What I do myself is
I have all my emacs lisp in a directory called emacs.  Then in
my .emacs file I do:

(setq load-path (append load-path (list "~/emacs")))

If you keep things in separate sub directories, then the list will be
the list of all the places emacs needs to look in.

I believe there is a slicker way to do this.

Second, most packages come with some instructions.  You generally do
not want to always load all of the contents of all of the packages.
Usually, there are some key functions that are always called first.
You set these in autoload statements.  A typical statement looks like:

(autoload 'vm "vm" "Start VM on your primary inbox." t)

The package will usually tell you want autoload statements to put in
your .emacs file.

I can't think of what else you need to know.  Hopefully, this will
get your started.

I don't know where the .emacs file is located on XP.  This is from
the Info page:

    On MS-DOS, file names are case-insensitive and limited to eight
characters, plus optionally a period and three more characters.  Emacs
knows enough about these limitations to handle file names that were
meant for other operating systems.  For instance, leading dots `.' in
file names are invalid in MS-DOS, so Emacs transparently converts them
to underscores `_'; thus your default init file (*note Init File::) is
called `_emacs' on MS-DOS.  Excess characters before or after the
period are generally ignored by MS-DOS itself; thus, if you visit the
file `LongFileName.EvenLongerExtension', you will silently get
`longfile.eve', but Emacs will still display the long file name on the
mode line.  Other than that, it's up to you to specify file names which
are valid under MS-DOS; the transparent conversion as described above
only works on file names built into Emacs.

`HOME'
      The location of the user's files in the directory tree; used for
      expansion of file names starting with a tilde (`~').  On MS-DOS,
      it defaults to the directory from which Emacs was started, with
      `/bin' removed from the end if it was present.  On Windows, the
      default value of `HOME' is the `Application Data' subdirectory of
      the user profile directory (normally, this is `C:/Documents and
      Settings/USERNAME/Application Data', where USERNAME is your user
      name), though for backwards compatibility `C:/' will be used
      instead if a `.emacs' file is found there.

Good luck,
Perry Smith ( pedz@easesoftware.com )
Ease Software, Inc. ( http://www.easesoftware.com )

Low cost SATA Disk Systems for IBMs p5, pSeries, and RS/6000 AIX systems

* Re: Installing matlab mode under  Windows XP
@ 2006-11-21 16:36   ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]   ` <mailman.953.1164127222.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-11-21 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Perry Smith wrote:
> First, there an emacs variable called load-path.  It is a list of
> directories emacs searches when a load is done.  What I do myself is I
> have all my emacs lisp in a directory called emacs.  Then in my .emacs
> file I do:
>
> (setq load-path (append load-path (list "~/emacs")))
>
> If you keep things in separate sub directories, then the list will be
> the list of all the places emacs needs to look in.
>
> I believe there is a slicker way to do this.

Then create a subdirs.el file in the directory (e.g. ~/emacs/subdirs.el)
with these contents:

(if (fboundp 'normal-top-level-add-subdirs-to-load-path)
     (normal-top-level-add-subdirs-to-load-path))

--
Kevin

@ 2006-11-22  3:38     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2006-11-22  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> Then create a subdirs.el file in the directory (e.g. ~/emacs/subdirs.el)
> with these contents:
>
> (if (fboundp 'normal-top-level-add-subdirs-to-load-path)
>      (normal-top-level-add-subdirs-to-load-path))

Will that actually do anything in this case? I thought that because of
the order in which Emacs does things at startup, any additions made to
load-path in ~/.emacs don't get scanned for subdirs.el files. At least
this was the case three years ago:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2003-04/msg00315.html

* Re: Installing matlab mode under  Windows XP
@ 2006-11-22 16:29       ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-11-22 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Glenn Morris wrote:
> Kevin Rodgers wrote:
>
>> Then create a subdirs.el file in the directory (e.g. ~/emacs/subdirs.el)
>> with these contents:
>>
>> (if (fboundp 'normal-top-level-add-subdirs-to-load-path)
>>      (normal-top-level-add-subdirs-to-load-path))
>
> Will that actually do anything in this case? I thought that because of
> the order in which Emacs does things at startup, any additions made to
> load-path in ~/.emacs don't get scanned for subdirs.el files. At least
> this was the case three years ago:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2003-04/msg00315.html

Indeed, a simple experiment shows you're correct.  Sorry about that!

So OP has to do it explicitly in ~/.emacs:

(setq load-path (cons "~/emacs" load-path))

(let ((default-directory "~/emacs"))