martin rudalics wrote: > > To clarify: this was after I managed to get the steppers to appear and I > > clicked on the up-stepper. > > Does the slider of a one-line window's scroll bar also expand into the > other window's scroll bar when you remove the steppers? I'm not sure how to remove the steppers other than changing the theme. If I change the theme to Adwaita (no steppers) and follow your test instructions, the results depend on which version of Emacs I use. With my emacs-26 build, I get the whitespace that I mentioned previously. If I use (- 3 ...) instead of (- 2 ...), giving me a 2-line window, I get a proper scrollbar that stops at the top window's modeline (see attached). With the Emacs 25 that is bundled with Debian 9, following your instructions gives me a scrollbar that extends over the modeline for the top window, but no further (see attached). I'll get to the other experiments later, hopefully today. mike