Eli Zaretskii wrote: > Both patches, as proposed, are too drastic. I could agree to the > second one, provided that the default is changed to build and install > our movemail -- this will let distributors decide whether to install > it or not, while keeping backward compatibility. (The NEWS part of > your patch should then be changed accordingly.) OK, I installed the second patch with modifications along the lines that you suggested, updated the documentation accordingly, and am closing this bug report. The patch that I installed is attached. As the default Emacs configuration still has a significant security hole, this patch changes 'configure' to warn about the problem if present. Although many distributors and/or installers will no doubt ignore the warning, at least we can later say in our defense that 'configure' warned them.