all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Calling Emacs client with only the Org-capture window
@ 2024-07-28 17:09 Sébastien Gendre
From: Sébastien Gendre @ 2024-07-28 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

Hello,

I would like to add a keyboard shortcut, to my desktop environment, that
open an Emacsclient to do a capture. But in this frame, I would like to
see only the capture window, starting with the template selection.

If I associate my keyboard shortcut to:
emacsclient -c -e "(org-capture)"

The new frame is split in 2 windows. And "(org-capture)" function have
no parameter to make it's windows the only one of the frame.

Do you have any idea ?

Best regards

-------
Gendre Sébastien

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Calling Emacs client with only the Org-capture window
@ 2024-07-29  5:58 ` Christoph Kliemt
From: Christoph Kliemt @ 2024-07-29  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 28 Jul 2024 19:09:16 +0200
Sébastien Gendre <seb@k-7.ch> wrote:
Hi,

 i think display-buffer-alist is your friend.

 You might want to read
 this: https://www.masteringemacs.org/article/demystifying-emacs-window-manager

regards, Christoph

@ 2024-07-29 13:37   ` Sébastien Gendre
From: Sébastien Gendre @ 2024-07-29 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Kliemt; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hello, thank you very much. I will take a look soon.

With display-buffer-alist, can I modify the behavior of org-capture only
when I call it with my desktop shortcut ? Because when I call it from
Emacs, I want to keep the same behavior as the default one.

@ 2024-07-29 14:29     ` Gregor Zattler
From: Gregor Zattler @ 2024-07-29 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Gendre; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Sébastien, emacs users,
* Sébastien Gendre <seb@k-7.ch> [2024-07-29; 15:37 +02]:
> Hello, thank you very much. I will take a look soon.
>
> With display-buffer-alist, can I modify the behavior of org-capture only
> when I call it with my desktop shortcut ? Because when I call it from
> Emacs, I want to keep the same behavior as the default one.

you can use a non-default name for the
frame and match on this.

Till now I use the default name:

${EMACSCLIENT}  -s ${EMACS_SERVER_NAME:-default} --alternate-editor ''  -F '((name . "*Capture*") (background-color . "lemon chiffon") (alpha-background . 100) )' -c  --eval '(org-capture)'

since so far I didn't grok how to use
display-buffer-alist.

Ciao; Gregor