all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Example of how to handle multi-line records in Emacs forms mode (i.e. using forms.el) ?
@ 2024-06-30 17:30 Niall Mansfield
From: Niall Mansfield @ 2024-06-30 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is it possible to handle multi-line records using Emacs forms mode?

For example, how would you handle something like this:

	Title: GNU Emacs Manual
	Author: Richard M. Stallman
	Publisher: FSF
	Location: home

	Title: The Colour of Magic
	Author: Terry Pratchett
	Location: loaned

	Title: Mio Cid
	Author: Anonymous
	Location: home

	Title: chapters.gnu.org administration guide
	Author: Nacho Gonzalez
	Author: Jose E. Marchesi
	Location: unknown

(which is taken from a tutorial example for GNU recutils).

I ask because the Forms Mode User's Manual
(https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/forms.html)
talks of "multi-line fields" ("Fields may contain text which
shows up in the forms in multiple lines") but I can't see
how to handle multi-line records.

	Thanks,
	Niall

* Re: Example of how to handle multi-line records in Emacs forms mode (i.e. using forms.el) ?
@ 2024-07-01 11:42 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-07-01 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2024 18:30:32 +0100
> From: Niall Mansfield <gnu@barg.org.uk>
>
> Is it possible to handle multi-line records using Emacs forms mode?
>
> For example, how would you handle something like this:
>
> 	Title: GNU Emacs Manual
> 	Author: Richard M. Stallman
> 	Publisher: FSF
> 	Location: home
>
> 	Title: The Colour of Magic
> 	Author: Terry Pratchett
> 	Location: loaned
>
> 	Title: Mio Cid
> 	Author: Anonymous
> 	Location: home
>
> 	Title: chapters.gnu.org administration guide
> 	Author: Nacho Gonzalez
> 	Author: Jose E. Marchesi
> 	Location: unknown
>
> (which is taken from a tutorial example for GNU recutils).
>
> I ask because the Forms Mode User's Manual
> (https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/forms.html)
> talks of "multi-line fields" ("Fields may contain text which
> shows up in the forms in multiple lines") but I can't see
> how to handle multi-line records.

Embed literal ^J characters in the text?

* Re: Example of how to handle multi-line records in Emacs forms mode (i.e. using forms.el) ?
@ 2024-07-02  1:21   ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2024-07-02  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, help-gnu-emacs

I wonder would line wrap work on such content?

--
 Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com>
 soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.