all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to send email from Emacs?
@ 2023-11-16 20:31 Jakub T. Jankiewicz
From: Jakub T. Jankiewicz @ 2023-11-16 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I was searching but I'm not able to find any information about this. I've
found some old question "cannot send mail by emacs+gnus" that have the same
error as I have:

454 4.7.1 <jcubic@onet.pl>: Relay access denied

I have this setup:

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "jcubic.<server>")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 465)
(setq user-mail-address "jcubic@<server>")
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
(setq smtpmail-stream-type 'ssl)
(setq smtpmail-debug-info t)

And when I send an email I got this:

220 u1.atthost.pl ESMTP Postfix
250-u1.atthost.pl
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 1024000000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN
MAIL FROM:<jcubic@jcubic.pl> SIZE=230
250 2.1.0 Ok
RCPT TO:<jcubic@onet.pl>
454 4.7.1 <jcubic@onet.pl>: Relay access denied
QUIT
221 2.0.0 Bye

Process smtpmail<1> deleted

No AUTH LOGIN.

I've read in docs that smtpmail-auth-credentials is deprecated and it doesn't
have any [documentation][1]. And that you should use ~/.authinfo I've put the
info there but it doesn't work. ALso the documentation says that it ask for
username/password when it first runs but I didn't asked for anything just
fail and try to send email without any credentials.

[1]:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/smtpmail/Authentication.html

So how should I send an email with SMTP in Emacs? I've bump into that when
trying to send bug report. I've send it using my email client eventually but
I want to know how to send an email from Emacs.

--
Jakub T. Jankiewicz, Senior Front-End Developer
https://jcubic.pl/me

* Re: How to send email from Emacs?
@ 2023-11-16 22:18 ` Michel Verdier
From: Michel Verdier @ 2023-11-16 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2023-11-16, Jakub T. Jankiewicz wrote:

> (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials

Remove this one and put in .authinfo

> And when I send an email I got this:

I suppose you use gnus ?

> 220 u1.atthost.pl ESMTP Postfix

No need to obfuscate with <server>

> I've read in docs that smtpmail-auth-credentials is deprecated and it doesn't
> have any [documentation][1]. And that you should use ~/.authinfo I've put the
> info there but it doesn't work.

Check your .authinfo content. And also mode :
chmod 600 ~/.authinfo

* Re: How to send email from Emacs?
@ 2023-11-18  9:56 ` Dieter Klünter
From: Dieter Klünter @ 2023-11-18  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am Thu, 16 Nov 2023 21:31:08 +0100
schrieb "Jakub T. Jankiewicz" <jcubic@jcubic.pl>:

> I was searching but I'm not able to find any information about this.
> I've found some old question "cannot send mail by emacs+gnus" that
> have the same error as I have:
>
> 454 4.7.1 <jcubic@onet.pl>: Relay access denied
>
> I have this setup:
>

> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "jcubic.<server>")
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 465)
> (setq user-mail-address "jcubic@<server>")
> (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
> (setq smtpmail-stream-type 'ssl)
> (setq smtpmail-debug-info t)
>

> And when I send an email I got this:

[...]

> [1]:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/smtpmail/Authentication.html
>
> So how should I send an email with SMTP in Emacs? I've bump into that
> when trying to send bug report. I've send it using my email client
> eventually but I want to know how to send an email from Emacs.

There are quite a few email-clients, like Gnus, Wannderlust, Mew

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryMail

-Dieter
--
Dieter Klünter | Systemberatung