all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Just a comment about tree-sitter
       [not found] <20230127165406.66d47bwk7coghngl.ref@Ergus>
@ 2023-01-27 16:54 ` Ergus
From: Ergus @ 2023-01-27 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi:

This is just a comment.

I just found that my emacs master branch was not compiling with
tree-sitter either in ubuntu or msys.

There was a problem because emacs requires version >= 0.20 in the
config. But the current tree-sitter release has an issue and it is not
updating the version in the tree-sitter.pc file for pkg-config
properly. So pkg-config knows there is a tree-sitter, but it thinks it is
version 0.6.1, too old for what emacs asks.

This issue is fixed in the current tree-sitter master branch, but not in
the release 0.20.7 (current). It may take some months to be out.

If this has been already discussed by someone here my apologizes, but I
didn't find any reference, so I decided to mention just in case anyone
has the same issue.

Best regards,
Ergus

* Re: Just a comment about tree-sitter
@ 2023-01-27 17:09   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-01-27 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ergus; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 17:54:06 +0100
> From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
>
> There was a problem because emacs requires version >= 0.20 in the
> config. But the current tree-sitter release has an issue and it is not
> updating the version in the tree-sitter.pc file for pkg-config
> properly. So pkg-config knows there is a tree-sitter, but it thinks it is
> version 0.6.1, too old for what emacs asks.
>
> This issue is fixed in the current tree-sitter master branch, but not in
> the release 0.20.7 (current). It may take some months to be out.
>
> If this has been already discussed by someone here my apologizes, but I
> didn't find any reference, so I decided to mention just in case anyone
> has the same issue.

The configure script requires version 0.6.3 of tree-sitter, which is
the version declared by the pkg-config file that comes with
tree-sitter 0.20.7.  So I don't think I understand why you see 0.6.1.
Are you sure you have tree-sitter 0.20.7 installed, not an earlier
version?

I can tell you that I build both the master and the emacs-29 branch
with tree-sitter v0.20.7, and I have no problems like the ones you
describe.