all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll <juanjose.garcia.ripoll@csic.es>
To: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
Cc: larsi@gnus.org, 56499@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#56499: 28.1; Unable to open large file
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 18:11:04 +0200	[thread overview]

[-- Attachment #1: Sólo texto --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2456 bytes --]

  Metered connections are network connections that charge by volume of
data transferred. That happens, for instance, with 4G modems, which I
am using this week.

When one tethers a 4G mobile phone to a laptop, it is possible to
select that the connection is metered, to avoid that Windows uses that
link to download big but not so important data (e.g. updates).

I was unaware that OneDrive deactivates itself in metered connections
even if I ask to synchronize data. When I opened a big file (the ones
that OneDrive typically removes from the computer to save space and
leaves in the cloud) Emacs got a system error that led to the behavior
described before. It also happens with smaller files, I now realize,
provided they were not cached in the computer.

It is possible to disable the "metered connection" status from the
wifi network properties (Windows 10 and Windows 11 settings interface,
not control panel). Then OneDrive spins up again and Emacs is left
waiting until the file is downloaded, with no error message.

Juanjo

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> escribió:

>> Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 10:22:09 +0200
>> From: Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll <juanjose.garcia.ripoll@csic.es>
>> Cc: larsi@gnus.org, 56499@debbugs.gnu.org
>>
>> Apologies for the noise. I have found out that this problem is
>> related to "metered connections".
>
> Thanks.  I was about to tell that I couldn't reproduce the problem on
> a machine where I have OneDrive set up.
>
>> On those
>> ones, Emacs cannot trigger opening of the file and is not capable
>> of returning the right error message. Once
>> I disable the option "metered connection" from the network, Emacs
>> operates as expected. I suspect this
>> cannot really be attributed to Emacs, except for the lack of error
>> message in the first situation.
>
> Would you mind please telling more about the situation where it
> happens and about the symptoms?  Does this happen only with
> find-file-literally? does it happen only with large files? and what
> exactly are "metered connections" and how does one disable that
> option?
>
> The reason for the questions is that I'd like to describe the problem
> and the solution in etc/PROBLEMS.
> Thanks.
   Juan José García Ripoll

Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC
Calle Serrano 113b, Madrid 28006, Spain
Phone: (+34) 915616800 (dial 943107 when hearing the voice)
http://quinfog.iff.csic.es / http://juanjose.garciaripoll.com