all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* NetBSD Alt key?
@ 2022-02-02 16:37 conover--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: conover--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-02-02 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have a Linux box, standard 105 kbd. Linux to Linux:

    (global-set-key "\M-b" 'mark-block) ; Alt-b key

works, but Linux to NetBSD does not.

Any idea on what "\M-b" should be for Alt-b in NetBSD?

    Thanks,

    John

--

John Conover, conover@rahul.net, http://www.johncon.com/

* Re: NetBSD Alt key?
@ 2022-02-02 19:03 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-02-02 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

conover--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

> (global-set-key "\M-b" 'mark-block) ; Alt-b key

It is called Meta. If "mark-block" is a command (interactive
function) I don't see why it shouldn't work ... You can put
use the hash quote but that won't solve it.

  (global-set-key "\M-b" #'mark-block)

Don't you want M-b for `backward-word' tho?

> NetBSD does not

What happens when you hit it?

Test, or do C-h k M-b

> Any idea on what "\M-b" should be for Alt-b in NetBSD?

It should look the same since we are operating on the Emacs
level, maybe something is up with the terminal emulator so
Emacs in facts sees some other key on M-b.

If you use xterm, try this ...

xterm*metaSendsEscape: true

in .Xresources [1] then

xrdb ~/.Xresources

in .xinitrc [2] ...

[1] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.Xresources

[2] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.xinitrc

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: NetBSD Alt key?
@ 2022-02-02 20:05   ` conover--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: conover--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-02-02 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor writes:
> conover--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
>
> > (global-set-key "\M-b" 'mark-block) ; Alt-b key
>
> It is called Meta. If "mark-block" is a command (interactive
> function) I don't see why it shouldn't work ... You can put
> use the hash quote but that won't solve it.
>
>   (global-set-key "\M-b" #'mark-block)
>
> Don't you want M-b for `backward-word' tho?
>
> > NetBSD does not
>
> What happens when you hit it?
>
> Test, or do C-h k M-b

Here is what it it gives:

    M-c (translated from M-C) runs the command copy-marks, which is an
    interactive compiled Lisp function in `.emacs'.

    It is bound to M-c.

    (copy-marks)

    Copy marks, copy any marked areas to the current point.

which seems to be Meta-anything returns Meta-c.

   Thanks,

   John

--

@ 2022-02-03  0:08     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-02-03  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

conover--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

>> do C-h k M-b
>
> Here is what it it gives:
>
>     M-c (translated from M-C) runs the command copy-marks,
>     which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
>     `.emacs'.
>
>     It is bound to M-c.
>
>     (copy-marks)
>
>     Copy marks, copy any marked areas to the current point.
>
> which seems to be Meta-anything returns Meta-c.

M-c is `capitalize-word' by default ... you seem to have
configured a lot, what happens if you run the same tests with
'emacs -Q'?

Also see this:

  https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MetaKeyProblems