On Wed, Sep 01, 2021 at 02:43:37PM +0700, Yuri Khan wrote: [...] > My point (which some will find offensive) is that maybe one doesn’t > need to implement input methods in Emacs. > > If you have Compose in Emacs, it works in Emacs. If you have Compose > in XKB, it works across your whole desktop. As most extreme assertions, this is true and false at the same time. In general, and for those input methods I use most, I do try to get them functioning at the X level (Emacs, after all, isn't my only text entry application: this might vary from person to person, too). Personally I have a compose key I regularly add sequences to, and two keyboard layouts (Latin, Greek) via group toggle. That said, Emacs input machinery is (finitely, but still enormously) more flexible and configurable than what X has to offer. For example, I can only have alternate keyboard layouts I'm (somewhat) willing to memorise. If I want to input, e.g. Cyrillic with mnemonic sequences based on phonetics (because I can't be bothered to learn yet another keyboard layout), cyrillic-translit is probably an input method difficult to achieve with X. On top of that, quail, albeit not easy, is probably still an order of magnitude more hackable than the X11 methods. In a nutshell: I enjoy having both and thank all the hackers of the world for having both. In a smaller nutshell: all generalisations suck :) Cheers - t