On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 10:00:25AM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 08:48:29 +0200 > > From: > > > > That's because DOS got all confused between direntries and inodes, > > and Microsoft never recovered from that (despite having hired a pro > > to do NT for them, but I disgress ;-P > > I don't see how inodes are relevant to this, Note the tongue-in-cheek. But yes, the truth beneath that buffoon is that Microsoft had to bend a properly designed file system to adapt to the expectations of a FAT spoiled audience. From there stem lots of problems. > and NTFS does have their equivalent internally. I know. This was the pros I was hinting at, Tom Miller, Dave Cutler et al, scooped up when DEC went supernova. The thing with the inode/direntry was more a metaphor for "DOS FAT is at a too low level of abstraction, and NTFS pays the price for that". Not that important. Just a hysterical nootfote. Cheers - t