On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 10:07:02AM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: Richard Stallman > > Cc: tsdh@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org > > Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 22:34:10 -0400 > > > > That's not what I said or meant. What I meant was that considering > > the problem non-existent because this is how distros install the Lisp > > files sounds strange to me, because it assumes no user will ever want > > to modify these files enough to make them writable. IOW, the > > assumption that bothered me was that no one will ever want to modify > > those files, e.g., to fix some bug or add a feature. > > > > Distros must provide a way to download the sources. You could > > download the sources into your home directory, make your modified > > versions, and put them in a directory in load-path. > > > > Does this solve the problem, in practical terms? > > Not the problem I was describing, it doesn't. > > The problem I was describing was with the user modifying the *.el > files installed by a distro. (The fact that distros by default > install *.el files in a place that is generally not writable by users > is irrelevant, because they can be made writable, or the *.el files > can be copied to a writable location and modified there.) When users > do modify the *.el files, the corresponding distributed *.eln files > will no longer be loaded by Emacs, and there will be another version > of those *.eln files in a different location. That is a gate to the > "DLL hell" in its Emacs incarnation: several different shared-library > objects of the same name in different locations. At the very least, > users will be confused, and several obscure problems could happen that > will be hard to debug. For example, the user's eln-cache directory, > where the updated *.eln files will be stored, could be cleaned up by > the user, not knowing that by doing that he/she effectively reverts to > using the old code, triggers JIT compilation when he/she loads the > same file the next time, etc. Not a catastrophe, but certainly > confusing and not expected. Sometimes, questions just have to be put by somewhere else. Now I understand your position better :-) I agree that this problem hasn't a trivial (or unique) solution. But this is something for distros to solve. Emacs has just to provide the mechanisms to make that possible (and, as far as I can see, it does). Note that this problem already exists with .el/.elc files. Cheers - t