On Mon, Jul 05, 2021 at 08:03:14PM +0000, Drew Adams wrote: > > > But I'll mention that a Lisp symbol is a kind of > > > mutable "object". It has various properties [...] > > > > Oh, Elisp doesn't differentiate between the symbol proper > > and its bindings? > > Sure, it does. Though I may not understand what you > mean by its bindings. > > The symbol is an object - a complex/compound thing. > It has various properties. One of the properties is > its value as a variable, which is accessible using > function `symbol-value'. As a variable, that's the > symbol's variable (global) "binding". Hm. If you change a variable's value... does that count as "mutating the symbol"? If you change the binding (e.g. by entering another scope or by leaving it)? Yes, there are those other pesky properties... Cheers - t