all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Basic Question
@ 2020-12-23 17:05 Gary Highberger
From: Gary Highberger @ 2020-12-23 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Everyone,

My end goal is to use emacs with gnu-smalltalk's built-in emacs interactive
features.

I am running Ubuntu 20.04 on a dual boot, Macbook Air.

I installed and tested both the gui and terminal versions of emacs.

Neither installation switches to content awareness for Smalltalk files
(files with a .st extension).

My Smalltalk files run fine on gnu-smalltalk and edit perfectly with
(content aware) vim.

Does emacs need to be configured to recognize Smalltalk files?

Many thanks,

Gary Highberger

* Re: Basic Question
@ 2020-12-23 18:16 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-12-23 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Gary Highberger <gary.highberger@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> My end goal is to use emacs with gnu-smalltalk's built-in emacs interactive
> features.
>
> I am running Ubuntu 20.04 on a dual boot, Macbook Air.
>
> I installed and tested both the gui and terminal versions of emacs.
>
> Neither installation switches to content awareness for Smalltalk files
> (files with a .st extension).
>
> My Smalltalk files run fine on gnu-smalltalk and edit perfectly with
> (content aware) vim.
>
> Does emacs need to be configured to recognize Smalltalk files?

You'll probably have to install a smalltalk-mode explicitly -- it looks
like there's one in the ELPA package repository, if you're using that.
It automatically sets up for .st file extensions.

HTH,
Eric

* Re: Basic Question
@ 2020-12-23 18:19 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-12-23 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Gary Highberger <gary.highberger@gmail.com> [2020-12-23 21:02]:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> My end goal is to use emacs with gnu-smalltalk's built-in emacs interactive
> features.
>
> I am running Ubuntu 20.04 on a dual boot, Macbook Air.
>
> I installed and tested both the gui and terminal versions of emacs.
>
> Neither installation switches to content awareness for Smalltalk files
> (files with a .st extension).
>
> My Smalltalk files run fine on gnu-smalltalk and edit perfectly with
> (content aware) vim.
>
> Does emacs need to be configured to recognize Smalltalk files?

It says here:
https://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/manual/html_node/Emacs.html#Emacs

GNU Smalltalk comes with its own Emacs mode for hacking Smalltalk
code. It also provides tools for interacting with a running Smalltalk
system in an Emacs subwindow.

But maybe that Emacs package is not packaged in GNU Smalltalk
distribution.

I can find the smalltalk-mode.el here:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/smalltalk.git/tree/?id=5a144882c9bbf2f9ad4dff7103f93f16981644a6

or here:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/smalltalk.git/plain/smalltalk-mode.el?id=5a144882c9bbf2f9ad4dff7103f93f16981644a6

And I could open this file:
/usr/share/smalltalk/scripts/Test.st

and invoke M-x smalltalk-mode and see syntax highlighting.

There are other emacs packages here:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/smalltalk.git/tree/?id=5a144882c9bbf2f9ad4dff7103f93f16981644a6

To automatically invoke the smalltalk mode, I guess you need this
setting:

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.st$" . smalltalk-mode))

Jean

* Re: Basic Question
@ 2020-12-23 18:20   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-12-23 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> [2020-12-23 21:18]:
> You'll probably have to install a smalltalk-mode explicitly -- it looks
> like there's one in the ELPA package repository, if you're using that.
> It automatically sets up for .st file extensions.

That may be better, you were faster Eric, and I did not even look into
GNU ELPA.

* Re: Basic Question
@ 2020-12-23 18:22 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2020-12-23 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 12:05:23PM -0500, Gary Highberger wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> My end goal is to use emacs with gnu-smalltalk's built-in emacs interactive
> features.
>
> I am running Ubuntu 20.04 on a dual boot, Macbook Air.
>
> I installed and tested both the gui and terminal versions of emacs.
>
> Neither installation switches to content awareness for Smalltalk files
> (files with a .st extension).
>
> My Smalltalk files run fine on gnu-smalltalk and edit perfectly with
> (content aware) vim.
>
> Does emacs need to be configured to recognize Smalltalk files?
>
> Many thanks,

There is (at least) one smalltalk mode available from Elpa, the
Emacs package repository. In Emacs, do M-x list-packages and search
in that buffer (C-s) for "smalltalk".

You can download/install it from there.

(If those instructions are too terse, you're welcome to ask).

As to the mode itself, I can't say much, since I haven't tried it.
Perhaps someone more knwledgeable can chime in.

Cheers
 - t

* Smalltalk-mode (was: Basic Question)
@ 2020-12-23 19:19   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-12-23 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> As to the mode itself, I can't say much, since I haven't tried it.
> Perhaps someone more knwledgeable can chime in.

I haven't tried the interactive read-eval-print loop (via `gst-mode`,
bundled in the `smalltalk-mode` package), so I don't know how well it
works, but the major mode used to edit the actual code has been updated
recently (by yours truly).

The GNU ELPA package should definitely work better than the code bundled
with GNU Smalltalk (unless they updated it to the version in GNU ELPA?),
especially w.r.t auto-indentation.