On Mon, Nov 02, 2020 at 10:10:02PM +0100, Christopher Dimech wrote: > I shall explain better then. In my .texi files I customarily include commands > from other modes or want to use some hooks from other modes (e.g. org-mode). > So even after I load a file with the default mode, I would need to quickly > shift to another mode temporarily, then switch back to normal-mode. Perhaps your problem becomes different [0] if you squint at it from another angle (space vs time): do you really want your whole buffer to "switch mode", or are you looking after some regions "having a different mode"? In the second case, look, e.g. for "multiple major modes" [1]. It's a class of problems for which need exists (e.g. Org source snippets, but also those PHP cum HTML cum Javascript thingies. Cheers [0] Not necessarily better, but perhaps exciting in a different way? [1] https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MultipleModes - t