all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* is there any vertical incremental completion in Emacs?
@ 2020-10-23 17:35 Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-10-23 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU Emacs Help

I am researching various built-in modes in Emacs so that some
applications do not depend on external packages and that I could later
propose it to ELPA without dependencies on outside packages.

So far I am using helm for reason that it is vertical incremental
(search like) completion, and I would like to simplify it. I would
need split window or full window and list of possible completions in
similar manner as helm, but not fully. Plethora of applications are
possible to be built on such, I don't speak of tools but business
applications and I already use them. And it needs to select from large
number of items.

Helm works well but is also overkill.

Maybe something similar already exists?

I am looking into all available built-in packages that contain the
word incremental, icomplete, ibuffer, allout, but I do not find what
would be usable.

--
Jean Louis

* Re: is there any vertical incremental completion in Emacs?
@ 2020-10-23 18:44 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2020-10-23 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: GNU Emacs Help

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> Helm works well but is also overkill.
> Maybe something similar already exists?

I use raven for vertical minibuffer buffer/recentf/project-file
completion (https://github.com/chameco/raven) which is pretty simple in
comparison to helm or ivy and works nicely.  It's easy to define custom
"sources" and "actions".

> I am looking into all available built-in packages that contain the
> word incremental, icomplete, ibuffer, allout, but I do not find what
> would be usable.

I don't think there's something like raven, helm, or ivy in emacs
although there's some feature/icomplete-vertical branch.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: is there any vertical incremental completion in Emacs?
@ 2020-10-23 19:20 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2020-10-23 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: GNU Emacs Help

Have you seen Ivy?

Hth,
mb

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: is there any vertical incremental completion in Emacs?
@ 2020-10-24  9:47 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2020-10-24  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> I am researching various built-in modes in Emacs so that some
> applications do not depend on external packages and that I could later
> propose it to ELPA without dependencies on outside packages.

I have a question: What does "vertical" mean in this context?

Thanks,

Michael.

* Re: is there any vertical incremental completion in Emacs?
@ 2020-10-24 12:21   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-10-24 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 11:47:01AM +0200, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
> Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
>
> > I am researching various built-in modes in Emacs so that some
> > applications do not depend on external packages and that I could later
> > propose it to ELPA without dependencies on outside packages.
>
> I have a question: What does "vertical" mean in this context?

It would be full width line by line list of items, as split window or full window, similar as Helm.

* ivy is alright - Re: is there any vertical incremental completion in Emacs?
@ 2020-10-24 13:08   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-10-24 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: GNU Emacs Help, Oleh Krehel

* Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> [2020-10-23 22:20]:
> Have you seen Ivy?

It looks like I have seen it and discarded it at first sight long ago,
then I have discovered Helm. Great Emacs package, really. Now I can
change my software to make new Emacs packages.

Now I am looking into it and it seems exactly what I am searching for.

Next to find is if I can use ivy temporaril in full screen.

--
Jean Louis

* any way for ivy to get reverse terms to match all candidates?
@ 2020-10-24 13:22   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-10-24 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn, Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: GNU Emacs Help, Oleh Krehel

* Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> [2020-10-23 21:44]:
> Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
>
> > Helm works well but is also overkill.
> > Maybe something similar already exists?
>
> I use raven for vertical minibuffer buffer/recentf/project-file
> completion (https://github.com/chameco/raven) which is pretty simple in
> comparison to helm or ivy and works nicely.  It's easy to define custom
> "sources" and "actions".

I will look into it in few minutes.

For now I look for package that is already in GNU ELPA, so that new
package does not possibly depend on external package.

Ivy seem to be well and good for my purpose.

For now I think I see something that does not accommodate my need in
ivy:

(ivy-read "Choose company: " '("Here is more" "More is here "))

I would like that I can type:

"more here"

that I get both selections. But I get only selection that begins with
"More".

Is there any way to get both selections for reversely written terms?

Jean

* Re: is there any vertical incremental completion in Emacs? (ivy found)
@ 2020-10-24 14:07   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-10-24 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: GNU Emacs Help

* Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> [2020-10-23 21:44]:
> Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
>
> > Helm works well but is also overkill.
> > Maybe something similar already exists?
>
> I use raven for vertical minibuffer buffer/recentf/project-file
> completion (https://github.com/chameco/raven) which is pretty simple in
> comparison to helm or ivy and works nicely.  It's easy to define custom
> "sources" and "actions".

I have tried. It works similar like ivy, yet is not as polished, it is
slower on my side while ivy looks blazing fast. What is real speed I
do not know, I just say how it looks. Using two words did not give me
same result as in ivy. Additionally it depends on evil package which
is not in GNU ELPA. For now, raven is not my choice, I wish that
software depends only on GNU ELPA for now.

> > I am looking into all available built-in packages that contain the
> > word incremental, icomplete, ibuffer, allout, but I do not find what
> > would be usable.
>
> I don't think there's something like raven, helm, or ivy in emacs
> although there's some feature/icomplete-vertical branch.

It looks that ivy is excellent choice.

Now just to find how to match all words in ivy regardless of their order.

Jean