all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Reading from a buffer
@ 2020-07-01 19:12 Greg Hill
From: Greg Hill @ 2020-07-01 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've pretty well mastered the process of *writing to* a buffer using
*insert* and *format*, but I haven't been able to find any equally easy way
to read that same information back. I've hacked together a workaround using
*copy-to-register*, *get-register* and *read-from-string*, but surely there
must be a more straightforward approach than that. I've searched and
searched through all the documentation and have come up with nothing for
doing a simple formatted read from buffer. Any suggestions?

* Re: Reading from a buffer
@ 2020-07-01 20:19 Greg Hill
From: Greg Hill @ 2020-07-01 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

The function 'buffer-substring-no-properties' is certainly a step in the
right direction, thank you. I've now got it down to:
(setq count (car (read-from-string (buffer-substring-no-properties (mark)
(point)))))
But I'm nothing short of astonished that there is not yet anything in
standard Emacs Lisp that is comparable to a formatted read-from-buffer
statement in a more conventional programming language like Fortran or C.
I'm imagining something akin to '(insert (format...' but working in the
opposite direction, something like '(unformat (read...'.  Perhaps I'll just
create my own library of intuitive and easy-to-use buffer I/O functions
since I expect to be doing quite a bit of this sort of thing in the future.